Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't edit added slides, Keynote only offers me the option of editing master slide.

Hello Keynote Geeks!

I am counting on your expertise to help me with this challenge.

This is what happened:

1) I created a personalized presentation template for my commercial production company.

2) Whenever I try to use this presentation template, Keynote keeps insisting on only allowing me to edit master slides. This creates a dumb workflow in which I have to duplicate master slides, edit them in the edit master slide menu and then add them back to my presentation.

I recorded a 2 minutes screen flow video demonstrating the issue. Please watch it on this Vimeo link:

https://vimeo.com/124934712

I will be incredibly thankful to anyone that gives me a smart solution to optimize our presentation edit workflow.

Cheers from Brazil,

JP Jacobsen

3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2017 2:56 PM

In what dictionary does geek mean clumsy fool? Most people understand "geek" is a term of endearment when referring to one's expertise.

One of the definitions in Merriam-Webster is: an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity.

All that said, it's understandable if you don't prefer the name, but the lecture didn't contribute anything to the forums and was ill-informed.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2017 2:56 PM in response to Gary Scotland

In what dictionary does geek mean clumsy fool? Most people understand "geek" is a term of endearment when referring to one's expertise.

One of the definitions in Merriam-Webster is: an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity.

All that said, it's understandable if you don't prefer the name, but the lecture didn't contribute anything to the forums and was ill-informed.

May 7, 2017 5:59 AM in response to Intelligent Design

In what dictionary does .... mean clumsy fool?

Well there's The Oxford English Dictionary, Cambridge University Press, Google, not to mention the Mac's inbuilt Apple Dictionary in Applications.

One of the definitions in Merriam-Webster is:

This reference has a whole page listing including:

geek /ˈgiːk/ noun

plural geeks

Learner's definition of GEEK

chiefly US, informal

: a person who is socially awkward and unpopular : a usually intelligent person who does not fit in with other people

He was a real geek in high school.

Most people understand "geek" is a term of endearment when referring to one's expertise.

Eh no, most people do not. Any student, colleague or acquaintance of mine knows this is a derogatory term, film and TV shows in particular, regularly use this as an insult to humiliate a character. If most people consult the Merriam Webster dictionary, they will find plenty of material explaining why this is not a term of endeerment.

the lecture didn't contribute anything to the forums and was ill-informed.

I gave no lecture but an explanation that certain words are offensive. The terms of use of these forums forbid using language that may offend and can result in posts being deleted.

As the references above confirm that this is an offensive term, it most certainly is not ill informed.

It appears my reply was marked as helpful and solved.

May 8, 2017 9:39 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Can you at least acknowledge that "an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity" is a valid definition? Clearly that's how JP intended it.

And I'll ask again, in what dictionary is "clumsy fool" one of the definitions? I'm unable to find it in any modern version. I mean, "carnival performer" is one of the current definitions. Perhaps JP was just trying to find all the carnival workers who could help him with Keynote.

You're willing to say any student and any acquaintance of yours will, without fail, say that geek is offensive even when clearly intended as a compliment? For sure I have heard it as an insult, particularly when in elementary school. It's just not an insult I hear kids use anymore. Every dictionary you mentioned has a least one definition that refers to expertise and enthusiasm for a technological subject/area. Context is king here.

I work in technology and am an adjunct professor and guest lecturer at several colleges. Generally speaking almost everyone I encounter would understand geek in this context as a compliment. I think it's fair to say that this word has taken on new meaning and evolved a bit over the last two decades. Again, context matters. Many words have evolved over time.

Consider Geek Squad. Would they really choose this name and try to market their services under that banner if consumers thought that a clumsy, socially-inept fool would be coming to perform service in their home?

My point with all of this is not to start an argument. It's simply to suggest there's no need to be condescending when people are reaching out for help. If you truly couldn't tell by the tone of his query that he wasn't meaning to be offensive, fine. But at least be open to new ideas and try to assume the best in people.

Apr 25, 2015 12:47 PM in response to JPJacobsen

1. First its not a good idea to insult the people who may want to help you in the first line of a post.
  2. you weblink does not work.
  3. Objects added to a Slide Master will be visible on every slide. As they reside on the master and not individual slides they can only be edited on the slide master. If you do not want objects to appear on slides, do not use that particular slide master.

Apr 25, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi Gary,

English is my second language. I didn't mean to offend. Here in Brazil "geek" doesn't have a pejorative connotation. Nowadays, it is even fashionable to have a nerdy look and be tech savvy. Sorry if you feel offended in any means.

What I wanted was to be able to edit individual slides without automatically also editing the master slide.

I fixed that Vimeo link. If you watch de video you will understand better what I mean.

Thankfully,

JP Jacobsen.

Apr 27, 2015 7:41 PM in response to JPJacobsen

A "geek" means a clumsy fool, I would never call anyone this.

You are not using the correct method to edit items on a slide. Double clicking an object on a slide that is on the slide master allows editing the master object, it does not allow editing the object on the slide.

The correct procedure is:

add a new silide based on a slide master of your choise

to add a photo to the slide; use a Finder window to drag and drop a file onto the image place holder

to add new text to a slide; click on the text placeholder once, then type in the new text

This assumes the master slide was created correctly by using media and text Placeholders.

To add a text placeholder to a master slide: add a text box to the master then change the font, size and colour

select the text box then: Format > Advanced > Define as text placeholder

To add a Media Placeholder to a master slide: drag and drop any image file of the correct format (vertical or horizontal) on to the master

select the photo then: Format > Advanced > Define as Media placeholder

close the master slide by clicking the blue Done button bottom right

Can't edit added slides, Keynote only offers me the option of editing master slide.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.