Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I clean my mac out into a hard drive, and then access files from a new mac?

I would like to empty all my MacBook Pro's information into an external hard drive, not just backing it up, but completely emptying out my internal hard drive. I am planning on getting a new computer, and I would like to access those files from the new MacBook. However, I do not want to migrate all the files back to my new MacBook; I would just like to access my photos and documents directly on my hard drive, if possible. On another note, is it possible to divide a hard drive so as to perform this function (having files that are not in my computer), and using it as a time machine to back my new computer up as well?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 1:44 PM

You can if the HDD is large enough but I do not recommend that. I feel that Time machine should have a HDD dedicated exclusively to its function.

You can use Disk Utility>Restore or Carbon Copy Cloner to copy all of the data from the MBP HDD to the external HDD.

Ciao.

1 reply

How do I clean my mac out into a hard drive, and then access files from a new mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.