Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Would we get a legit audible warning message on Safari about being hacked?

My wife tried to open Safari on her Macbook Air and got audio message on a Safari mini-window saying her network has been hacked and that she needs help from http://www.fixpc99.com and wants her to call a helpline at (647) 360-4442.

Never saw and audible message like this is it valid?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 1:37 PM

Do not call the number.

Force quit Safari, then restart Safari while holding the Shift key.

9 replies

Apr 26, 2015 11:30 PM in response to stephenfromwinchester

I got distracted by the thing and called the number, so they accessed my macbook air through c4s.
Then, they tried to sell me software for 140$. As I told them that I could not afford that amount, they asked me "How much are you willing to pay?" and that is when it got really suspicious because software companies are not as easy to negotiate. SO, I just stopped the conversation with her.
My worries are that my mac is not safe anymore. I mean I let them login through c4s, I am not sure what should I do to protect my information/data in order not to be misused by them?
I hope that they "only wanted to sell that software".If you have any ideas how should I proceed with my mabook air, please share. Best,

Apr 30, 2015 2:37 PM in response to MMorina

The above comments are reassuring. I also got a pop up that froze Safari and told me to call a number urgently because spyware had been installed. I did call the number, which was answered by a man with a heavy Indian accent. Alarms went off in my ming. I asked who he was. "I am technical support." Yes but who are you? "I am technical computer support." "Who do you work for?" "I am Microsoft support." "Oh, thank you," and I hung up and closed down the computer. When I re-started my iMac everything seemed O.K. but i wanted to be sure.

May 5, 2015 12:40 PM in response to MMorina

i received this same error message, and against my inner voice of reasoning, called the number. a guy with a heavy indian accent answered as tech support, i asked, "who did I call?" and he only responded with "tech support". but....i went on with the call, explaining that i received this pop-up error mesg. he said all computers come pre-installed with this error warning. stupid me. i continued with the call. even though that voice was telling me not to. i asked, "what's this going to cost me?" he replied "no, no, this call will not cost you anything", he had me download something that allowed him to take control over my macbook. he showed me where my "filevault" is turned off, and that there was a foreign address in my system dialog, and that my network had been hacked. when he said he was going to connect me to "cisco systems" or something like that, so they could remove a foreign address on my computer, and that it was a paid program, i said that i could not afford to buy anything that day. then he "negotiated" a different price twice, and i said, "NO. i cannot buy anything today. " then he said, "what is the problem? do you not have access to the card number?" that's when i said, "i'm ending this call"

so should I worry that he installed something on my mac? what about that foreign address? and what about my filevault? i have webroot secure anywhere on my mac. i ran a scan before i called that number and it didn't show anything wrong, and then again after i called that number. does not show any virus, or malware or spyware. but how did that error msg get there?

i'm sorry, i'm not real computer literate, so if i sound totally stupid with my questions, please forgive me.

is there anything i should do?

thank you all...

May 5, 2015 4:49 PM in response to mojojojosmom

mojojojosmom wrote:

so should I worry that he installed something on my mac?

Yes, you should. That message you got was a scam, the guy you talked to was a scammer. Since you gave him remote control of your Mac, he very well may have done something malicious to your machine. Webroot would not have been able to do anything about it, and won't be able to solve the problem now. If he installed something or made some other malicious change, it would have been something not detected by anti-virus software.

You will need to erase your hard drive and reinstall the system and all your apps from scratch.

Would we get a legit audible warning message on Safari about being hacked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.