Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of the cinemapro1-2 virus

I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.10.3. I've picked up the cinemapro1-2 adware virus that throws up advertising popups everywhere. I've tried everything that's previously been suggested on this site, but I can't get rid of the virus from Safari in particular.

When I go to Preferences > Extensions in Safari, it comes up blank, as if there are no extensions. But I still get these cinema pro ads popping up in Safari.

I tried the same thing in Chrome and it worked fine - something called "Search Protect" was listed under the Chrome extensions, and when I deleted it, it got rid of everything connected with cinema pro. But in Safari it persists.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), null

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 12:06 PM

4 replies

Apr 25, 2015 4:52 PM in response to timliverpool

Take the steps below to disable it.

Malware is always changing to get around the defenses against it. This procedure works as of now, as far as I know. It may not work in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for a more recent discussion, or start a new one.

Back up all data before continuing.

1. Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return. A folder named "LaunchAgents" will open.

2. Inside the folder you just opened, there may be files with a name beginning in any of the following ways:

cinema-plus

cinemas-+-plus

com.cinemapro

com.extensions

Safari Security

shopy-mate

UpdateDownloader

Move all such items to the Trash.

Log out or restart the computer. The trojan will now be inactive, but there are a few more components of it that should be cleaned up.

3. Do as in Step 1 with this line:

~/Library

A folder named "Library" will open. Inside it there may be a subfolder with a name beginning

cinemapro

If so, move that subfolder—not the Library folder—to the Trash.

4. Open this folder in the same way as above:

~/Library/ScriptingAdditions

and remove an item named

BrowserHelper.osax

if present.

5. Open this folder in the same way as above:

~/Applications

This is not the usual Applications folder, but a different one inside your home folder. Look for an application with a name beginning like this:

cinemapro

and move it to the Trash, if present.

Empty the Trash.

6. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Uninstall all extensions you don't know you need. If in doubt, remove all of them. None is required for normal operation. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those.

Apr 26, 2015 4:51 AM in response to timliverpool

In addition to removing the "cinemapro" stuff, which dominc23 and Linc have given you instructions for, you also have the Conduit adware installed. You may also have any number of other adware programs installed. Sometimes these things are installed in groups... I've seen as many as four different adware programs installed by a single installer, and have seen people infected with as many as six different adware programs at the same time. See my Adware Removal Guide for help getting rid of Conduit and finding anything else that might be installed.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

How do I get rid of the cinemapro1-2 virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.