Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro keeps duplicating itself in Shared section of Finder

My computer has recently started duplicating itself in the Shared section of Finder. It's listing up to five separate versions of itself in there. When I open Photoshop it's saying it used to be installed in a different location and needs to be repaired. I presume this is because the computer name is being updated in Sharing.

This has happened since switching from an Airport Extreme router to an Asus one and then back again.

I have tried resetting the Airport Extreme to default and setting it up as new. It's connected via ethernet and wifi to the computer, but the problem is happening even with wifi switched off.

I also trashed com.apple.airport.airportutility.plist and restarted. It seems to still be happening. I've also been getting intermittent messages about my IP address being already used and it changes it. It was up to about 21 before I reset.

I've read elsewhere that this was a bug, but everything is up-to-date, so I don't know.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 1:02 PM

My computer has recently started duplicating itself in the Shared section of Finder.

Unfortunately, this one of several nagging networking bugs in Yosemite for which Apple has not yet been able to offer a "fix".

The best that you can do in the meantime is open the Sharing folder and edit the name of the Mac to the correct setting. Restart the Mac after you do this.

It would also be a good idea to reset the AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings and then set it up again if you can. There is no assurance that this will solve your issue, but it will not hurt to do this.

Some users have reported that reinstalling the Yosemite operating system has helped, but again this is a lot of work, with no guarantee that things will improve.

You may have better luck posting in the Yosemite forum, since the issue that you are reporting is really more of an operating system problem than an AirPort problem. The link is just below if you want to give that a try. Good luck.

OS X Yosemite

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Phybron

My computer has recently started duplicating itself in the Shared section of Finder.

Unfortunately, this one of several nagging networking bugs in Yosemite for which Apple has not yet been able to offer a "fix".

The best that you can do in the meantime is open the Sharing folder and edit the name of the Mac to the correct setting. Restart the Mac after you do this.

It would also be a good idea to reset the AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings and then set it up again if you can. There is no assurance that this will solve your issue, but it will not hurt to do this.

Some users have reported that reinstalling the Yosemite operating system has helped, but again this is a lot of work, with no guarantee that things will improve.

You may have better luck posting in the Yosemite forum, since the issue that you are reporting is really more of an operating system problem than an AirPort problem. The link is just below if you want to give that a try. Good luck.

OS X Yosemite

Mac Pro keeps duplicating itself in Shared section of Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.