Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Port forwarding works only a few ports

Hello,

I have a home network as show in the attached image. Airport Extreme ac is the main router connected to my modem. All of the other devices are setup in “Extend a wireless network” mode. Network is purely IPv4, IPv6 is turned off.

User uploaded file

I’ve setup port forwarding for a few computers (all of which are getting a DHCP IP address using a MAC Reservation).

User uploaded file

I’ve enabled port forwarding on the following ports

UDP/TCP: 135, 3283, 5900, 8008, 8443

I also have Back to My Mac enabled

The only port that seems to respond is 5900 all other ports are not accessible. Am not sure if that’s because of Back to my MAC or my VNC port on my PC.

User uploaded file

Have been racking my brain to get this working. Any help and tips would be appreciated.

-Sandeep

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 2:22 PM

10 replies

Apr 25, 2015 4:09 PM in response to sandeepa

Have been racking my brain to get this working. Any help and tips would be appreciated.

Can I suggest that the AE Gen6 might actually have problems.

And especially if the computers you are connecting to are located on the wireless extend units.

How I would work from here is to save your present settings.. on all the units.. (export configuration).

Then go back to a single AE as router.. reset to factory and start over with just one computer plugged in by ethernet. And try your various forwardings on it.

If any of them fail.. take the "Airport Extreme Extended" which you have in the network as wireless extender and put it into the place as main router.

Let me suggest further you take its firmware back to 7.6.1 which seems to handle port mapping better.

This is easy to do.. hold down the option key and click on the version in the summary page.

User uploaded file

Factory reset it and do a clean setup with simple short names.

Now see how your port forwarding goes..

Make the network as simple as possible.

Sorry it is a load of work.. you can easily recover to where you were.. by using the import configuration file.. so any messing around you did is fixed..

But my experience with network issues.. suggest start simple.. if it works then move ahead with one extend unit and put a computer on there and test again..

If it fails, then no more complicated setup will work until you figure out the issues.. and I do encourage you to try something other than a Gen6 AE.. (or Gen5 TC which is the same).. even grab another brand router so you have a comparison.

Remember too as scott has suggested any port already allocated cannot be used.. that also means NAT-PMP ports allocated by the router or used internally cannot be used.. so leave off BTMM in the testing phase.. simple as possible.. then you have a real chance to see at what point the problems come in.

Apr 25, 2015 5:43 PM in response to sandeepa

Holding the reset button in until the light begins to flash rapidly is actually known as Hard Reset. It does not fully wipe all of the settings from the AirPort device, but will usually work as far as setting up the AirPort device again.

AirPort Utility > Base Station Menu > Restore Default Settings is a full Factory Default Reset, and would be the recommended way to go.

Port forwarding works only a few ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.