Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro early 2011 won't boot.

Hey everyone,

you might be thinking this is one of those things where a quick redirect to a support page might help, but I've tried that.

Here's my problem: I was just doing some photoshop work and had Chrome running in the background, before my screen went black and everything stopped responding. I had to force it to shut down. When I wanted to boot it up again, it did show my log in screen (so my user and the guest user). I logged in, but noticed the progress bar was moving extremely slow. It stopped about 1/3 in. After that, the screen went entirely grey and another minute later, it just turns itself off again.

I have tried to reset the NVRAM and the SCM. Neither works (in fact, I have the feeling it doesn't even do anything with my start up commands).

I tried to enter the Disk Utility, yet it won't let me do that either. I'll just be sent to the log in screen. Netboot doesn't work for me either.

I opened up my laptop and reinserted the RAM (16GB of RAM (by Crucial)).

Please, if you have any advice for me, do drop a response. I'm at a complete loss here.

Cheers,

Luca

MacBook Pro, null

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 3:52 PM

An early 20ll MBP came with Snow Leopard installation disks. Did you try the installation disk, selecting Disk Utility>First Aid, Verify and Repair?

Ciao.

6 replies

Apr 26, 2015 5:00 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Sadly, your suggestions didn't work.

Put the standard 4gb ram back in, which didn't change anything. I then replaced my HDD with an SSD with a new partition on it. That didn't work either. In fact, when i hooked the HDD onto a friend's iMac, it couldn't even find the HDD.

Whenever I tried to boot from a USB with Mountain Lion on it, it would result in a blue screen with vertical stripes. Is it likely to be a GPU or Logicboard problem?

Apr 26, 2015 6:52 AM in response to sithjustgxtreal

sithjustgxtreal wrote:

when i hooked the HDD onto a friend's iMac, it couldn't even find the HDD.

That suggests that that HDD is completely dead.

Whenever I tried to boot from a USB with Mountain Lion on it, it would result in a blue screen with vertical stripes. Is it likely to be a GPU or Logicboard problem?

Is that USB a Mt. Lion installer or does it have Mt. Lion and all of the other applications on it as would a fully functional HDD? If the latter there may be a hardware problem present.

Did you try using the original installation disks?

The last thing to try is to install the HDD and see what a safe boot does:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Ciao.

Macbook Pro early 2011 won't boot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.