Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging issues, overheating and battery problem

it seems okay now, but when charging my 38mm sport, it got to about 44%, and stayed there whilst getting quite hot. It then said the charger was an unsupported accessory so I left it unplugged for 5 minutes. It cooled down and then charged to 100% within an hour, is this normal? aren't they supposed to be charged overnight?

Watch Sport 38mm, Mac OS 9.2.x, null

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 2:17 PM

42 replies

Apr 12, 2017 11:10 PM in response to Jordanrobbins48

Got mine after Christmas. Siri was not find correct contacts. Called support, got the usual, reset, restore, see a genius run around. They finally sent a replacement. Got it today. Charged it, paired it and during the setup (off the charger) mine became so hot, you could barely hold it, let alone, wear it!

GOt on chat, same runaround. I just hate the games they play. Just be upfront and own the issues! Geez

WWoA (Wonderful World of Apple)

Apr 26, 2015 8:30 AM in response to zoomcrypt5

Interesting, but my watch still showed that it was "charging", even though it wasn't. I actually found a quick fix; I did a reboot, let it cool down for a couple minutes, and changed outlets and it began to charge normally. And to the first individual, it is normal for the watch to charge fast. It takes 1.5 hours to charge to 80%, but one hour seems fast.

I am thinking this all may be software related. I think the % indicator may be displaying incorrect percentages.

Hopefully a software update soon!

Apr 26, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Jordanrobbins48

I noticed similar issues. I went to charge my watch after setting it up. I was at 35%. Plugged it in and the green charge icon came on. I checked back about 1/2 hour later and the watch was incredibly hot and I was at 37%. I checked how the charger was attached, re-adjusted it and tried again. I checked back an hour later, was at 48% and the watch was stI'll hot. I unplugged it to let it cool down. I had also bought a spare charger with my watch order (42 Sport Black). Once the watch cooled down, I plugged it into my spare charger. In about 45 minutes, I was at 100% and the watch remained cool. i have been using the spare charger all weekend and have not tried the original charger again so I cannot say if it was a one time fluke that the watch wouldn't charge and got hot or if there is an issue.

Apr 27, 2015 3:55 AM in response to Jordanrobbins48

Hi all please try my post on here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7011211

This worked for me, for some it hasn't worked, but its worth a try.

1. Turn off the watch (hold side button (while not on charge) and then swipe to power off like iPhone)

Then Reset the watch

1. Hold the Digital crown and the side button and the same time until you see the apple logo

Put on charger and see if it charges.

If this does not work do the following:

1. reboot iPhone

2. go to apple watch app

3. in the apple watch app got to > general > reset > erase all content and settings

4. wait for watch to erase and reboot to language screen

5. Set up the watch until you see the app bubbles

(a difference i noted at the point of first installation was, that the linking with my iPhone didn't work with the camera, i had to do it manually with bluetooth codes, not sure if this was the problem to begin with, however now with erasing and starting fresh, the linking has worked properly with the camera)

If you end up with any pairing problems you will need to:

1. Settings > General > Reset settings for iPhone

2. Erase content and settings from settings on the watch

3. Then you will be able to pair again

(for some reason even if you unpair with the phone through the watch app, the bluetooth settings get saved somewhere, but it doesn't show up on your bluetooth device list. so only a reset of the settings get rid of these)

Apr 28, 2015 3:36 PM in response to KyleJoshuaKing

I Had same issue, couldn't be fixed returned watch waiting on replacement 38 mm stainless. My watch wouldn't fully charge and got very hot. Tried second cable I ordered and rebooted watch neither thing helped. I gave up returned watch . I reordered the aluminum sport edition instead. It was looked at in store by support at Genius Bar they recommended return was Saturday .

May 4, 2015 1:54 PM in response to compute4

I'm having this issue as most of you, watch can't even finish rebooting before it goes back into charging mode. Unpairing it didn't help, the phone can't even fully start up to figure it is not paired anymore.

I tried charging with the provided charger, as well as my laptop, same thing happens. I'll try out the iPad charger trick later on to see what happens..

Charging issues, overheating and battery problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.