Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I keep content but erase settings?

I am making a gift to a child who has restricted access to the internet. I want to put photos, videos and text on the ipad. But I want to erase my personal settings.

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.3, Will give this iPad away

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 12:31 PM

6 replies

Apr 25, 2015 2:33 PM in response to rccharles

rccharles, I have looked at that page several times before asking the community. To clarify, I want to erase the settings but I want to keep the content. A reset gets rid of both the settings and the content. i'm trying to deliver content on the iPad. I want the photos, pages, and videos to be on the iPad when my grandkids get it so they can see what I have prepared for them. I guess I could put it all on a DVD, but I don't know how that would be structured if a grown-up was able to get the content onto the iPad. I want to have it there on the iPad. I don't want to make them do the work.

Apr 25, 2015 2:36 PM in response to caroling

I should clarify that I am preparing a gift that I will send in the mail several states away. It will no longer be my iPad. It will belong to children ages 7-9. I will not be there to help them set it up. I want to make it embedded on the iPad, birthday card and all. I do not want them to have access to any of my settings though.

Apr 26, 2015 2:53 AM in response to caroling

That's the best way of re-purposing an iPad. I know of a guy who gave his used ipad to a nephew. He didn't erase enough stuff. His nephew report what he found to his wife. His wife filled for divorce 😮.

1) Backup your ipad to a computer so you can recover if you wish.

2) enrol in dropbox. Backup what you can manually.

3) Follow apples suggestions.

4) Use dropbox to copy all the stuff you want to move over.

Partial reset:

setting > general > reset > Reset All Setting.

Does this get rid of your browsing history? Bookmarks?

http://www.everythingicafe.com/reset-settings-on-iphone-ipad/

Apr 26, 2015 2:53 AM in response to rccharles

Thanks for detailed ideas. I will incorporate them as I learn the iPad. So far I have not found a desktop or folders. I don't know how to store, copy or backup things. It is so different from Macs I've known since 1988. I was hoping that there was a set procedure for what I'd like to do. Once I reset, I will not be able to check the status. I will revisit this post in a month.

Apr 26, 2015 11:56 AM in response to caroling

It's a different game.

The ipad is organized around applications. You should set up a free account for your relative. Download all free apps with this account. For paid apps, get a gift card. Assign to relative. If you use your account and remove your account from the ipad, all associate apps disappear. Apps are owned by the appleid.

Here is the "secret" on how to set up a free account. It's not the apple of old.

Create an iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store account without a credit card or other payment method - Apple Suppor…

To transfer stuff to the ipad, use dropbox.com. Its the easiset way, but not the only way. Install on ipad & mac.

Robert

How do I keep content but erase settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.