Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot contact previous owner to remove phone from their account

I bought an iPhone 5s, I checked to see if it was lost or stolen which isn't. the IMEI number is ******. The only problem is that I don't have anyway of contacting the previous owner to remove it from their Find my iPhone which is a pain. Please help.

<Edited By Host>

iPhone 5s, null

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 12:45 PM

9 replies

Nov 5, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I contacted the previous owner and received all the correct credentials. I cannot get past the security. I receive a message saying I must use a specific Apple ID but when I do, I receive another message saying that ID cannot be used. It is weird because the system knows the difference because the correct credentials because I use a bad password and it says "wrong password." So Apple is acknowledging the ID and password are good - but won't let the phone activate or unlock.

Nov 5, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Charlie-adman

Charlie-adman wrote:

I think what is happening is the same Apple ID is now being used on another phone and I cannot do anything with this phone. Apple doesn't have a way around this? Really??

No, I have 5 devices all using the same Apple ID. And I can turn off Find my iPhone on any of them. What is happening is the previous owner did not give you his apple ID or password correctly. Possibly intentionally. I would never give anyone my Apple ID and password; why should the previous owner? You must contact the previous owner and have them follow these instructions:What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If they won't do this the phone is useless to you.

Nov 6, 2015 4:46 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for the "What to do . . ." link. I can direct my users to that one. FYI - I oversee 40 iPhones in a corporate account. I require people to wipe their old phones before returning to me but this one phone did not get processed. I have all the correct credentials. I have access to the users iCloud account and only one phone appears - the new one. It appears that the "old" phone is now orphaned. I agree with you, Apple should recognize two phones, i.e., two serial numbers, IMEI numbers, etc., but for some reason there is a glitch. It is frustrating because I'm returning 5 phones for gift certificates, sadly this one has to go in the trash.

Cannot contact previous owner to remove phone from their account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.