Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import folders to Photos app as albums

I organize all of my photos into folders. I have years of photos organized properly by year_date_event_name. I would like to import the folders directly into the Photos app as Albums named as the folder name.

I can't seem to even find a way to import the folders as albums, let alone having the folder name used as the album name.

I'm guessing a script would be the best way to do this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 1:43 PM

6 replies

Apr 25, 2015 1:47 PM in response to VinnyTroia1

You can't do what you want automatically. You'll have to create the albums from each import as described in the quoted text below.

Moments in Photo are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Album/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options and for missing features in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

Apr 25, 2015 11:15 PM in response to VinnyTroia1

Did you read the first part of my post?

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder.

All of the iPhoto Events that were in your iPhoto Library at the time of conversion have been added as albums in the iPhoto Events folder in the sidebar:

User uploaded file

It's only new imports that will need to be made into albums.

Apr 25, 2015 3:41 PM in response to VinnyTroia1

VinnyTroia1 wrote:

thanks but i have hundreds of events. doing them one at a time isn't an option.

One at a time?

Create a new Folder (or a Folder within a Folder), select multiple Albums (your former Events) from the iPhoto Events folder and move them to the new Folder.

PS: It's a lot easier if you select Show Sidebar in the View menu.

Import folders to Photos app as albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.