Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I download the latest version of Safari? Exact instructions.

How do I download the latest version of Safari? I keep getting a message that my current version is no longer supported. Isn't there something I can just click on? I can't see how to actually download it 😠 (gen x, not as smart as I once was 😕), but please help me anyway.😟

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 2:21 PM

You may have to settle for as recent of version of Firefox, as your OS X 10.6.8 will allow.

Even an older archived Firefox would be more recent than Safari from that era.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

see:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-download-and-install-firefox-mac

The method to get a later version of Safari, would be to see if the computer can be upgraded

to a later fully new OS X which includes a period-correct Safari version. That's about it.

And an upgrade to a later OSX may compromise the kind of computing experience you'd

found acceptable with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I'd consider a later computer, as a vehicle to

access later OS X versions, and keep the older computer (with backups) in Snow Leopard.

The online App Store may suggest a later OS X version than you have. The latest it may

(or not) support is Yosemite. That would likely require a RAM upgrade and perhaps a new

hard disk drive of faster rotational speed, or perhaps an upgrade to SSD, to add speed to

allow the bulkier newer OS X to work OK. Then you may need to get newer applications.

Other available OS X versions, not as new as Yosemite, would be available by purchase

in the Apple Store online. A code would be sent to your email, to unlock these downloads.

If you fall into the potential upgrade trap, be sure to create viable external clone or bootable

copy of your current system on external device; and have backup Time Machine archive, too.

In any event... there isn't a newer Safari for Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2015 2:21 PM in response to tanyagilla

You may have to settle for as recent of version of Firefox, as your OS X 10.6.8 will allow.

Even an older archived Firefox would be more recent than Safari from that era.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

see:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-download-and-install-firefox-mac

The method to get a later version of Safari, would be to see if the computer can be upgraded

to a later fully new OS X which includes a period-correct Safari version. That's about it.

And an upgrade to a later OSX may compromise the kind of computing experience you'd

found acceptable with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I'd consider a later computer, as a vehicle to

access later OS X versions, and keep the older computer (with backups) in Snow Leopard.

The online App Store may suggest a later OS X version than you have. The latest it may

(or not) support is Yosemite. That would likely require a RAM upgrade and perhaps a new

hard disk drive of faster rotational speed, or perhaps an upgrade to SSD, to add speed to

allow the bulkier newer OS X to work OK. Then you may need to get newer applications.

Other available OS X versions, not as new as Yosemite, would be available by purchase

in the Apple Store online. A code would be sent to your email, to unlock these downloads.

If you fall into the potential upgrade trap, be sure to create viable external clone or bootable

copy of your current system on external device; and have backup Time Machine archive, too.

In any event... there isn't a newer Safari for Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

How can I download the latest version of Safari? Exact instructions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.