Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone and wi-fi

Perhaps someone can explain to me. I am traveling in a city and I use the iPhone 6 weather app to successfully get the local weather report. My wi-fi is off. Fifty minutes later I am fifty miles away and I get the same old weather report but not the current weather where I am. I turn wi-fi on and now the correct weather for my new true location is on and correct. I am driving and do not have access to any wi-fi plan. How can turning on wi-fi make it so?

A corollary question {which just happened}. I just sent a text message to a friend of mine who is onboard a ship in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. He is not paying for the ship's wi-fi and there are not any cell sites nearby. He receives my text and sends one back to me. It just occurred to me that the answer might be that somehow the ship is giving him free wi-fi without his knowledge. I will check on that.

Thanks

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 1:58 PM

9 replies

May 9, 2015 7:53 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I can understand that using wi-fi helps with location data. My confusion is that turning on wi-fi in a car on the freeway {where wi-fi is not available or on a ship in the middle of the ocean} should not make the difference on this.

I recently called Apple. They indicated that if I turn on wi-fi it also activates GPS. And that may just explain my original query.

iphone and wi-fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.