Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

silencing the start up bong

Just bought a 27 I Mac Retina. Any way to silence or turn down the start up "bong"? Couldn't find anything in system preferences. Not a really big deal, but annoying.

Thanks,

Henrik Hansen

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 2:58 PM

6 replies

Apr 25, 2015 4:15 PM in response to Henrik Hansen1

Henrik,

I 100% agree with Klaus 1, do not silence the startup tone. However one thing to consider is Macs are designed to be left on 24/7, this does no damage to the machine and uses a minimal amount of power because the computer can be put to sleep or you can put the display to sleep. I just my display to sleep (and have done this for the past 10 years) with no negative affects.

Apr 27, 2015 7:24 AM in response to Henrik Hansen1

As others have suggested you can let your iMac sleep. It will awaken quickly when needed. I only shut down my iMac 5K when I know it will not be in use for several days.

The startup sound you normally hear is played by the mac when all is normal with the computer. There are a variety of other startup sounds that could be played when a problem is detected. It's always nice to hear the normal startup chime and know your computer is ready to run.

silencing the start up bong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.