Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung SSD 850 Pro Slow

Hello people,

I just booted OS X yosemite onto a brand new Samsung SSD 850 Pro. I looked at the disk speed through blackmagic and was getting read/write speeds at about 30mbps. Why is it so slow? Is it because it is currently connected through a kingwin SATA-USB adapter? When I get the replacement hard drive cable and reinstall the SSD inside the machine will I start seeing the 500ish numbers?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 3:49 PM

Connections are the choke points. If you are using USB, it will be much slower than when you install it in your MBP and realize the SATA3 transmit speeds.

Ciao.

2 replies

Apr 25, 2015 6:45 PM in response to jdc05

jdc05 wrote:

...getting read/write speeds at about 30mbps. Why is it so slow? Is it because it is currently connected through a kingwin SATA-USB adapter?...

Your Mac has USB 3.0 connections; Kingwin makes both USB 2.0 and 3.0 versions of the adapter and you didn't mention which you had. If you have the USB 2.0 version, you won't be getting much in the way of speed.

Samsung SSD 850 Pro Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.