Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change all referenced files in Aperture for entire library?

Hi experts...

All my Aperture files are on an external HDD and I had to copy everything over to a new drive recently. The old drive was called "photos", the new drive is called "My Passport". Without thinking about it, I made the new directory structure a bit different. On the old drive, my structure looked like this:

Volume = photos

File Path = photos/year/month/name_of_project/original_files.NEF

On the new drive, the structure is like this:

Volume = My Passport

File Path = year/month/name_of_project/original_files.NEF

When I started poking around in some of my projects, I found that Aperture told me that the originals were either missing or offline. I figured out how to reconnect all the originals in a given project - but I've got several hundred projects and reconnecting everything is going to be tedious and time consuming.

Is there a way (either through the program or via a script) that I can tell Aperture, essentially..."hey, for all the images in my library where the master used to be on drive 'photos' at <filepath>, they're now on drive 'My Passport' at <same filepath name except for top level directory>."

Alternatively, if I rename my new drive to "photos" and then put all the 'year' folders under a directory called 'photos', will Aperture be able to find everything magically?

OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 3:09 PM

3 replies

Apr 25, 2015 3:16 PM in response to jtj3

If you select all referenced files at once in Aperture and use the "File > Locate Referenced files" command an point Aperture to the first of the photos that need reconnecting, you should be able to reconnect all at once by using the "reconnect all" button. Aperture is usually smart enough to infer the location of other referenced files, if the folders are in the same structure.

Apr 25, 2015 3:29 PM in response to léonie

A HA!!!!

I believe that did the trick. Aperture is chunking through all the referenced files now and reconnecting them...so I wait. But I'm pretty sure this will work, now that I think about it.

Once all the images are done reconnecting I'll come back and mark this as "correct answer". Thanks!

Change all referenced files in Aperture for entire library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.