Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook password required Mac pop up

I did a software update on my MacBook Pro (OS X Yosemite) today and ever since a window keeps popping up. The title on the window is "Facebook Password". The message inside the window says "Enter the password for (my email) in System Preferences." There are 2 options to click - Preferences and Cancel. Clicking Preferences does nothing and clicking Cancel only closes the box for a second or two before it pops back up again. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

[Re-Titled by Host]

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 4:18 PM

22 replies

Dec 4, 2017 10:34 PM in response to J_Vaters

this is the real solution. And as easy as you think it is! this is it the only way.

- System Preferences

- Open Internet Accounts

- Pick Facebook

- then delete that account and re open again. the same account. but at this Time you are going to use the last password that you use. you can find it on keychain.

- on your keyboard hold down command and spacebar.

- then write KEYCHAIN and choose the first option that you have. that is KEYCHAIN ACCESS.

- then go to the finder box and write FACEBOOK.

- and those are the key that you use for that page.

- double click on the last date modified.

- is going to show you a small window and you have to click on SHOW PASSWORD.

- is going to request for your keychain password... is the same one that you use for you Apple ID.

- and thats all is going to show you the password.

- copy and paste to the new facebook account that you are opening (is the same account than before) but this time is going to have the new password that you use with your keychain.

I hope this is helpful for all the community.

Apr 28, 2015 6:07 PM in response to setestrelo220139

In fact, there is one difference with Valters. When I clck "Preferences..." I am taken to "System Preferences -> Internet Accounts".

If I click on "Facebook", a window titled "facebook" opens asking for the Password for my Facebook account linked to the email shown in the popup window "Facebook Password" (the one that keeps coming back no matter what you do...).

When I fill in the with my Facebook password I get the answer "Unable to verify account name or password".

Maddening, isn't it?

May 4, 2015 11:19 AM in response to J_Vaters

Hackers are using remote access, find my mac, screen sharing etc to get into my mac. They've accessed my keychain, created a port in my firewall and are making google accounts as well as accounts for back to my mac. I'm told they can wipeout your mac, iPhone etc if they get your apple id. Activate 2 step verification for apple and google, Turn off all sharing, remote access, Bluetooth, wifi etc and contact apple ASAP! The latest updates by by. Mac, chrome, windows, kaspersky etc allowed them to access ALL my personal accounts n info. They even create fake websites for FB so you'll enter your login info giving them your passwords! I'll be going into apple shortly, wish me luck!

May 4, 2015 3:50 PM in response to J_Vaters

I think I finally fixed it!

- System Preferences

- Open Internet Accounts

- Pick Facebook

- In the new window check calendar (mine was already checked so I unchecked it, then checked it again)

- In the same window click on Details and enter your credentials

I then hit Cancel on the unwanted pop-up window and it didn't come back!

May 15, 2015 12:50 AM in response to J_Vaters

I tried all sorts of things. This finally worked.

Quit Safari. If you are unable to do that, press command-option-esc to display the Force Quit Applications window. In that window, select Safari and click the Force Quit button.

To prevent the malicious page from reloading automatically, and thus the pop-up from reappearing, hold down the shift key while launching Safari.

Mar 3, 2016 5:23 PM in response to setestrelo220139

I'm having the same problem. I changed my Facebook password through Chrome as I thought it was time to update it. I then got the same Facebook Password popup window every couple of seconds (insanely annoying). After going to Internet Accounts and typing in the new password I got the exact same prompt: "Unable to verify account name or password".
This Facebook Password popup window kept appearing so I straight up decided to go to Internet Accounts and press the - button on the Facebook tab. I've stopped getting annoying notifications, but now whenever I try to re-add my Facebook account I keep getting the same old: "Unable to verify account name or password", and I can't seem to be able to add any Facebook accounts to Internet Accounts at all now.

Anyone?

Apr 24, 2016 6:53 AM in response to Raicya

That reply is from a year ago. I'm on El Capitan OS 10.11.4. Facebook has changed, as well. The only choice under Login Approvals is whether to require a security code for log in, or not. It is unchecked for me, so I don't require it.

I got a code and changed my password, yesterday, when I first got the pop-up. If I put it into Mac System Preferences, it says it isn't good. I even tried my old password in System Prefs and it won't take it. I then tried the code from the text and guess what???? It doesn't work, either.

Facebook password required Mac pop up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.