Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple TV is beyond slow..Help!

I am having a problem with apple TV taking forever to download or stream. 😠

A movie takes about 10-20 hours to download and it is telling me it will take 16 hours to update. How can this be fixed???

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 2:12 PM

8 replies

Apr 25, 2015 2:43 PM in response to dalejrfan

There are a couple things to check. First is DNS (the service that looks up IP addresses for you to connect to.) If you have put in custom DNS addresses in your Router or Mac, it could be giving the wrong servers to provide media content from. For example, if you live in San Diego, but your DNS servers are Google DNS or Open DNS, then Netflix (or the other services on your Apple TV) may be delivering content from another city.

Apple has provided local servers (called CDN or Edge) which provide a local connection to media content and Netflix for your Apple TV. This is why the Netflix experience on Apple TV can be so much better that other devices.

The second item to check, if you have a MacBook, is to place it right next to the Apple TV and run a speed test at speedtest.net.

Apr 25, 2015 3:25 PM in response to dalejrfan

The easiest way to ensure is to have DNS set to auto at all times (settings - general - network)

For optimal HD streaming you should have at least 6mbps, if speedtest reports a lower speed then your plan allows contact your ISP

Try ethernet to help rule out wifi issues

To see a current status of the network go to istumbler, netstumbler or similar to get a report. Look for signal strength, noise, nearby networks

My Apple TV is beyond slow..Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.