Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhotos disappeared - only Photos shows up! Cannot Print any longer

Somehow I got "upgraded" to Photos and iPhotos has disappeared - at least cannot find it in Applications nor on the toolbar. Now I cannot print photos after import. Really dislike the Photos program. Wish I could go back to iPhotos.

iMac, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 2:54 PM

6 replies

Apr 25, 2015 3:04 PM in response to davidfromzionsville

With MacOS X 10.10.3 you need iPhoto 9.6.1.

Which version of iPhoto do you have installed? Did you buy it from the AppStore? If you have any version of iPhoto, that has been updated from the AppStore and is associated with your Apple ID, try to reinstall from the "Purchases" page.

• Unhide iPhoto, if it is hidden on your Purchases page (See this link: Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases)
  • Trash the incompatible iPhoto version, but don't empty the Trash.
  • Reload your Purchases page at the App Store with ⌘R
  • Then download from that page.

Apr 25, 2015 3:16 PM in response to léonie

I am running OX 10.10.3

iPhotos was installed as an updated version with the upgrade to Yosemite.

Now iPhotos does not show up in applications ( iPhoto upgrader shows in Finder but not iPhoto )

I will now search for iPhoto 9.6.1 to see if I can ?? reload ?? it.

Right now one exceptionally unhappy customer with "Photos" but that is not your problem. Spouse wants her new granddaughters photos to show off as PHOTOS and not as electronic images on an iPhone. Will go to Apple store Monday to vent.

Apr 25, 2015 3:30 PM in response to davidfromzionsville

Sorting problems, too.

I am also EXCEPTIONALLY unhappy. Photos doesn't seem to allow one to sort photos via the options that iPhotos had. I have organized my photos by their titles, and now they sort randomly or by date only! I have searched and searched. I'm finding other hinky stuff. I imported photos and they don't show up as an Event, only in an Album. So I am lost.

What the ****?

Apr 27, 2015 2:25 PM in response to léonie

Leonie - firstly, my sincere appreciation for your attempt at assistance. That was educational, but unfortunately not the final solution.

Apple AppStore no longer allows downloads of iPhoto 9.6.X in USA! So I am fortunate to have an Apple store nearby (30 minutes) made an appointment with a Genius for this morning.

1. She told me that iPhoto is no longer available!

2. To Print, select the image then go to the UPPER tool ribbon - select FILE, then Print and the options come up. Not great, but workable.

3. To get an image into an Album, [ I sort my photos by Albums for rapid searches ] Select the photo - then the "+" symbol and one of the options in the right hand box is "Album". clicking on that brings up an Album window at the top - where you have to click the arrow to the right of "New Album" and your entire list of albums shows up. Then you slide down the list [ I have about 120 albums so not all show up in the initial drop down] and click on that album - the name of the album shows up in the top window - click on "OK" and it is now linked to that Album.

Overall NOT nearly as easy as iPhoto - so the gang in California have some serious work to do. I really liked the older screen arrangement.

Finally, Again - really appreciated your attempt to help on a Sunday. THANKS

Apr 27, 2015 2:41 PM in response to davidfromzionsville

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

iPhotos disappeared - only Photos shows up! Cannot Print any longer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.