Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory USB / vrs iPad Air 2

Hi There,

I have an opportunity (soon - hopefully) to buy either a Apple Mac Book Pro AIR or a iPad Air 2.

Can you please let me know the difference between the both?

And can either / or - add additional memory with a USB stick?

OR add additional Memory in another form or fashion?

Which would be best for Ticket Requests, Emails, Internet, Photos > Every-Day usage > all the time.... Camera / Photos / Emails /

Download APPS and Install Programs Etc.

Thank you.

MacBook Air, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 2:35 PM

7 replies

Apr 25, 2015 3:23 PM in response to ownerweb

You mean Macbook pro...right...??

You can’t compare a Macintosh to an iOS device.

Macs are the real work horse.

If you want it for the uses like "Ticket Requests, Emails, Internet, Photos > Every-Day usage > all the time.... Camera / Photos / Emails / “ and if you commute a lot then buy yourselfan iPad Air 2.

If you want it to install professional productivity apps or for any graphic intensive work then get yourself a Macbook....

You cannot add memory to either of them.......Sorry. But you can upgrade the macbook pro’s memory before buying it.

Hope this helps.....

Apr 25, 2015 5:08 PM in response to Grane Duke

Hi

Thanks so much. Need full deep details please...Perhaps there is a Apple Rep who can respond.

Memory - how much memory can you upgrade to?

And why can't any SD/XD card be added to add more storage. (Sorry had meant storage space not memory).

Do they have a USB drive?

I have a 2nd generation iPad 32 GB and want a "good" long lasting Mac. But not sure which is better.

MacBook Air or iPad Air 2.

I already have main computer, Smartphone and HP laptop bulaptop is very heavy and not so portable.

Love the Gold look of the iPad Air2 and the thin macbook air.

Yes I want to download and use major programs - Can the iPad let one do that? Or do you have to use ios apps only?

Would replace both my iPod and laptop. Leaning towards MacBook Air but what is the major difference between the two?

Also owner of web bus in Canada so would use "it" for everything and love the portability of it.

As to the question, no not macintosh or macbook pro

But

MacBook Air vrs iPad Air 2

https://www.apple.com/ca/macbook-air/

Apr 26, 2015 4:09 AM in response to ownerweb

ownerweb wrote:

Memory - how much memory can you upgrade to?

- On the new macbook air you can upgrade to max 8 GB RAM. But its not possible to upgrade the RAM on iPad Air 2.

And why can't any SD/XD card be added to add more storage. (Sorry had meant storage space not memory).

Do they have a USB drive?

- You can upgrade the SSD in the new macbook air upto 512 GB SSD. And as SSD’s are soldered onto the logic board, you cannot add the storage later. With the iPad air 2, there is an internal storage and you need to choose either he 16GB, 64 GB or the 128GB variant before purchasing.

I have a 2nd generation iPad 32 GB and want a "good" long lasting Mac. But not sure which is better.

MacBook Air or iPad Air 2.

- Macbook Air is a notebook and a real Macintosh (MAC) whereas iPad air 2 is a tablet running iOS. iPad line of products can’t be called Macs. Mac is a completely different line of computer products like the MacBooks in laptops and iMac, Mac pro, mac mini in Desktops.

If you want to do the work like Ticket Requests, Emails, Internet, Photos > Every-Day usage > all the time.... Camera / Photos / Emails / then you can go with 64 GB iPad Air 2.

I already have main computer, Smartphone and HP laptop bulaptop is very heavy and not so portable.

Love the Gold look of the iPad Air2 and the thin macbook air.

Yes I want to download and use major programs - Can the iPad let one do that? Or do you have to use ios apps only?

- If you want to download major professional productivity apps or running resource intensive editing apps like photoshop, light room, Logic pro X, final cut then I would recommend to go with macbook Air. You won’t be able to run those apps in iPad air 2 running iOS in a desired way.

Would replace both my iPod and laptop. Leaning towards MacBook Air but what is the major difference between the two?

Also owner of web bus in Canada so would use "it" for everything and love the portability of it.

- Then certainly I would recommend you to go with a Macbook Air as its a perfect machine to replace your bulky HP laptop and your iPod and iPad. It can do all the work which iPad air 2 can’t even think of. Macbook air has got a lot more power than the iPad air 2 to run major programmes and graphic intensive applications. Macbook Air is a very light notebook to carry around while commuting and is of the size of a regular folder.

You won’t go wrong with a Macbook Air. So my suggestion will be a brand new Macbook Air.

Hope my suggestion has cleared your doubts.

- Granel.

Apr 26, 2015 12:12 PM in response to Grane Duke

@Granel,

Many thanks for the help > few more questions please:

The iPad Air 2 would be a good replacement for my current/old 32gb iPod 2nd generation

a) Can I run IOS APPS on the Macbook AIR 2 ? (important)

b) Can I add more storage with the SSD? or other to the MacBook Air 2?

c) Can I add more storage to the iPad > Does it have any usb port, or card slots?

d) How big storage/Hard Drive capacity is the iPad ?

Considering purchasing BOTH the Macbook Air 2 AND the iPad Air 2... but we'll see:.

The iPad Air 2, is portable and would make an excellent replacement for my old iPod 2nd generation - 32 GB

The MacBook Air 2 would be an excellent replacement for my heavy HP Pavilion Laptop > but HP is excellent to, so Why would I change? What are your thoughts? My HP laptop is only 2 years old, but is heavy and cumbersome for portability.

Can I run HP programs on a Mac?

What is the equivalent HP laptop > to the Macbook Air ?

Love the MacBook - so still it is still very much in the running 🙂

Thank you so much. Appreciate the help. Look forward to the reply. If anyone else has any comments, please do share.

Apr 29, 2015 1:54 PM in response to ownerweb

ownerweb wrote:

a) Can I run IOS APPS on the Macbook AIR 2 ? (important)

- Nope. You can’t run iOS apps on macbook air.

b) Can I add more storage with the SSD? or other to the MacBook Air 2?

- As I said before, you can upgrade it to 512 GB before purchasing but you cannot add extra storage later after purchase.

c) Can I add more storage to the iPad > Does it have any usb port, or card slots?

- Again, as I said before, you can’t add more storage as it comes pre equipped with 16, 64 and 128 GB variants. You will have to choose one. It hasn’t got any card slots or USB port. And you can’t change the storage, as its inbuilt unlike other Android tablets.

d) How big storage/Hard Drive capacity is the iPad ?

- It has flash storage. The max is 128 GB variant iPad air 2.

Considering purchasing BOTH the Macbook Air 2 AND the iPad Air 2... but we'll see:.

The iPad Air 2, is portable and would make an excellent replacement for my old iPod 2nd generation - 32 GB

- Then you should buy it.

The MacBook Air 2 would be an excellent replacement for my heavy HP Pavilion Laptop > but HP is excellent to, so Why would I change? What are your thoughts? My HP laptop is only 2 years old, but is heavy and cumbersome for portability.

- A mac is a mac. You can’t compare it with your bulky and cumbersome HP. Just buy it. Its worth a million times.

Can I run HP programs on a Mac?

- NO. Not in the Mac OS X. But if you install windows with either Bootcamp or virtual machines like parallels, then you will be able to run your HP programmes on your Mac.

What is the equivalent HP laptop > to the Macbook Air ?

- HP Spectre x360.....http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/hp-spectre-x360-13t

But still I would recommend Macbook Air over the HP spectre in terms of reliability and resale value.

I hope I have answered all of your questions.

- Granel.

Apr 29, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Grane Duke

Hi

Thank you so much for your help.

I am leaning towards buying a Gold New iPad Air2 - 64 GB...looks & will be awesome.

Can you please tell me about any discounts for University completion and as Alumni?

I did read somewhere that educational rates apply, but now can't find it.

I'm actually thinking of buying Both. The iPad Air2 first. Love how there are also portable keyboards for it/while it also includes the built in one.

Next the MacBook Air. Other than the screen size what is the major difference between the Air and Pro versions?

With an iPad - just to clarify is there any way to run photo editing programs? What about WordPress

? And other programs?

With the Mac - is there any way to run iPad apps? Perhaps with a converter?

I'm us ally a HP fan but with the new Apple products - Love the iPad and that would be an excellent replacement for my old iPod. With the Mac, live how slim it is, especially for portabI lit and would make a excellent replacement for my chunky HP Pavilion. But my laptop isn't that old 2-3 years maybe.

IPad Air2 first and hopefully soon...thanks for all your help. Thoughts to the above?

Apr 29, 2015 3:32 PM in response to ownerweb

ownerweb wrote:

Can you please tell me about any discounts for University completion and as Alumni?

I did read somewhere that educational rates apply, but now can't find it.

- I think that you will get around $200 off with the educational discounts when being a new mac and $20 when buying an iPad air 2.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/education_pricing

Next the MacBook Air. Other than the screen size what is the major difference between the Air and Pro versions?

- Pro is much powerful than Air when it comes to running any applications but its a bit heavy compared to the new Air.

I will still recommend you the Air over the pro by looking at your usage patterns and portability concerns.

With an iPad - just to clarify is there any way to run photo editing programs? What about WordPress

? And other programs?

- You can run WordPress on the iPad....https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/wordpress/id335703880?mt=8

You can also do basic level photo editing on the iPad...

https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/adobe-photoshop-express/id331975235?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/adobe-photoshop-touch-for/id589440659?mt=8

With the Mac - is there any way to run iPad apps? Perhaps with a converter?

- No. I said that before.

I'm us ally a HP fan but with the new Apple products - Love the iPad and that would be an excellent replacement for my old iPod. With the Mac, live how slim it is, especially for portabI lit and would make a excellent replacement for my chunky HP Pavilion. But my laptop isn't that old 2-3 years maybe.

- You will have to decide that but I still recommend the macbook Air for the portability.

I hope that I have answered all of your questions.

- Granel

Memory USB / vrs iPad Air 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.