Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make Final cut pro 7 and Yosemite work?

Hi dear Apple.

I have this huge problem with Final cut pro 7 and Yosemite.

I have tried to install it on a Mac book pro that has Yosemite but it doesn't work.

I have an I mac with finalcut pro 7 working on Lion but I need to upgrade it to Yosemite to be able to use CC Adobe.

I have a feature film worth 6,7 million SEK with Final cut pro 7 and I can't translate it to XML files to premiere cause it is in its last editing process. I get an error everytime I try. Also the last version of Fcp (X) ***** for a professional editor. So.. My only option is to finish this film in Fcp7.

How can I use Yosemite and still be able to keep Fcp7?

Please help me or do something about this issue soon. I bought fcp7 for 11000 SEK at the time that was quite expensive.

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 4:04 PM

8 replies

Apr 25, 2015 5:27 PM in response to DirectorLopez

1) Apple is not here on these forums. This is a user to user support site. On very rare occasions, Apple will acknowledge these posts but that is few and far between.

2) If you want to speak directly to Apple you need to use phone support or chat. I believe there is a fee for that, and I also believe all you will be told is that FCP7 is no longer supported by Apple - it was left to die about 4 years ago.

3) It does run on Yosemite, on my current computer I have Yosemite 10.10.3, FCP-7, and Adobe Creative Cloud all running successfully. Others report problems or strange behavior. Since it was abandoned by Apple, you are really on your own.

4) You don't say what the installation problem was. Have you tried trashing your preferences?

You can download Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion (free) and it will do all the heavy lifting for you:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

If your problem is exporting an XML, you can open the project file on any working FCP-7 system (you don't need the media) and do the XML export.

When you import the XML into Premiere, you will have to relink all your files.

MtD

Apr 26, 2015 1:21 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Hi Meg the dog! Thanx for answering!

I know it was left to die 4 years ago. I just think its ****** up.. I work with documentaries and it takes quite a while to finish. I have done one for 6 years now. If I had known that Fcp7 was left to die I would never had started to edit 6 years ago...

I did try this recommended on the forum by another user:

Go to the app location in finder, CTRL click on the app and choose [Show Package Contents]. A folder [Contents] appears, click on it and choose [MacOS]. You'll see a Unix executable. Double click, you'll start Terminal. At the same time fcp will launch. After fcp is launched, close terminal and confirm when asked. Now fcp is up and running. Close fcp and the next time, just open fcp the normal way. DONE!

But it doesn't work for me. I can't launch fcp7.

I have Fcp7 Installed on my I mac and I wonder if that will effect fcp7 if I upgrade to Yosemte?

I tryed to export XML to work on premiere and this is what happends:

User uploaded file

Any recommendations? I am going crazy here..

Apr 28, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Meg The Dog

If you're located near New York City, let me know and you could stop by my edit room to output the xml. If you want to just send me the project, I'll see if it'll open and allow me to export an xml without the media present.

My email is mgrenadier@gmail.com

That said, I've installed fcp7 on both Mavericks and Yosemite boot drives without any major issues.

You might try creating a new user account before trying to do the install. You might also make sure ALL the fcp elements are deleted before trying to reinstall. I think digital rebellion has an fcp uninstaller (www.digitalrebellion.com). Also, do you have fcpX installed? I seem to remember there's a specific workflow to install both of them on the same system.

How can I make Final cut pro 7 and Yosemite work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.