Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I back up only selected files using Time Machine?

I'm a graphic designer, I use a number of Time Capsules to periodically back up my entire computer. But I also want to set up another Time Capsule (bus powered external hard drive) that will continually run as I work and only back up a single folder and all it's sub folders - in this case a folder called 'Client Files'.

QUESTION: How do I use Time Machine to back up only my 'Client Files' folder and all it's sub folders?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 6:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 5:31 AM

Frankly, this is probably not worth the time and trouble that it will take to set it up.

Time Machine backs up your entire Mac by default.

Time Machine Preferences / Options gives you the ability to Exclude items from backup, so to do what you want, you basically will have to Exclude everything else on the Mac from being backed up. That is going to be quite a task depending on where your Client Files folder resides and you have your Finder files set up.

It will not be that difficult to Exclude major folders..... things like Applicatons, Pictures, Music, Documents, etc.....but to get to the point where you want may not be that easy.

Take a look at things by opening Time Machine Preferences, then click on Options

Since you will be adding items to be Excluded, you would need to click the + button at the bottom of the window and then navigate to find the general folder that you want to Exclude.

Unfortunately, you cannot simply tell Time Machine to only back up the items that you want.....you have to tell Time Machine what NOT to back up.....which is going to be most of your Mac.

And.....whatever you set up in Time Machine /Options to be Excluded will apply to all backups to all Time Capsules. You cannot specify what is Excluded on one Time Capsule and not another. It's all or nothing. Not what you want to do, I am sure.

Good luck 😉

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2015 5:31 AM in response to graphicartman

Frankly, this is probably not worth the time and trouble that it will take to set it up.

Time Machine backs up your entire Mac by default.

Time Machine Preferences / Options gives you the ability to Exclude items from backup, so to do what you want, you basically will have to Exclude everything else on the Mac from being backed up. That is going to be quite a task depending on where your Client Files folder resides and you have your Finder files set up.

It will not be that difficult to Exclude major folders..... things like Applicatons, Pictures, Music, Documents, etc.....but to get to the point where you want may not be that easy.

Take a look at things by opening Time Machine Preferences, then click on Options

Since you will be adding items to be Excluded, you would need to click the + button at the bottom of the window and then navigate to find the general folder that you want to Exclude.

Unfortunately, you cannot simply tell Time Machine to only back up the items that you want.....you have to tell Time Machine what NOT to back up.....which is going to be most of your Mac.

And.....whatever you set up in Time Machine /Options to be Excluded will apply to all backups to all Time Capsules. You cannot specify what is Excluded on one Time Capsule and not another. It's all or nothing. Not what you want to do, I am sure.

Good luck 😉

How can I back up only selected files using Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.