Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 10.10 printer no longer showing as available - must add manually by IP address

My Epson wifi printer is connected to my home network through wifi. When someone using a mac with OS 10.10 tries to add the printer under system preferences, the printer does not appear as an option. In order to add the printer it must be done manually using the printer's IP address. I called Epson and they said the airport router must be blocking the printer from showing up. They say that since I am able to add the printer manually with the IP address this means that the printer is correctly attached to the home network. They said to contact apple support to see how to change the router settings in order to have the Epson printer display properly. Note that this problem did not occur until after I installed OS 10.10. Previously the printer name showed in the add printer screen. Any help on what I can do?

iMac

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 8:33 AM

I agree with Epson.. the problem is Yosemite and it is bug central at least on the network side.

The problem is not the airport router as much as the OS in the computer.. as is clear by the fact it still works fine with NOT Yosemite.

However to get Yosemite working it is sometimes necessary to start again on the airport setup. So.. here we go.

Factory reset universal

Power off the AE.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the AE to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

Then redo the setup from the computer with Yosemite.

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg AEgen5 and AEwifi for basestation and wireless respectively.

2. Use all passwords that also comply but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

3. Ensure the AE always takes the same IP address.. this is not a problem when the AE is the main router. It is a problem when it is bridged.

4. Check your share name on the computer is not changing.. make sure it also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. Yosemite has a nasty habit of ghosting itself on the network and repeatedly changing its name.

5. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only. Even in the latest Yosemite, this is a fail when set to auto.

eg for wireless.

User uploaded file

No luck we need more info.

What is the main router? Make and model please.

What model is the airport?

How is it connected and used in the network.. ie. bridge or router.. ??

Any issues showing up in the airport utility?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2015 8:33 AM in response to whuff

I agree with Epson.. the problem is Yosemite and it is bug central at least on the network side.

The problem is not the airport router as much as the OS in the computer.. as is clear by the fact it still works fine with NOT Yosemite.

However to get Yosemite working it is sometimes necessary to start again on the airport setup. So.. here we go.

Factory reset universal

Power off the AE.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the AE to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

Then redo the setup from the computer with Yosemite.

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg AEgen5 and AEwifi for basestation and wireless respectively.

2. Use all passwords that also comply but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

3. Ensure the AE always takes the same IP address.. this is not a problem when the AE is the main router. It is a problem when it is bridged.

4. Check your share name on the computer is not changing.. make sure it also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. Yosemite has a nasty habit of ghosting itself on the network and repeatedly changing its name.

5. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only. Even in the latest Yosemite, this is a fail when set to auto.

eg for wireless.

User uploaded file

No luck we need more info.

What is the main router? Make and model please.

What model is the airport?

How is it connected and used in the network.. ie. bridge or router.. ??

Any issues showing up in the airport utility?

OS 10.10 printer no longer showing as available - must add manually by IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.