Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Mac OS X 10.4.11 to newest software

Thanks to Allan Eckert's suggestion,

Dear Friend,

I had been to the Apple shop in Perth and purchased Snow Leopard to be shipped the following week (via on-line purchase).

Since we bought the following machine back in 2007 (or 2006?),

Mac OS X

Processor 2GHz Intel Core 2 Due

Memory: 1GB667MHz DR2 SDRAM

We have never done any program upgrade,... even we do not read all the emails sent by Apple team. We are just enjoying the machine so deeply and ignore the need to maintain it properly.

My little concern is:

Will my Mac recognize the DVD I bought (on it's way to me), and the upgrade will automatically be processed? Or, is there any program/patch I need to go through before it can recognize this DVD?

Or, am I worrying too much now, let's wait and see?

Thank YOU!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), OS Upgrade

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 5:52 PM

9 replies

Apr 25, 2015 6:26 PM in response to SanWong

Your 2007 iMac can take a maximum of 6 GBs of RAM.

I would max out the RAM for best, overall performance.

Correct, compatible and reliable Mac RAM can ONLY be purchased from online RAM sources Crucial memory or OWC (http://www.macsales.com).

OWC (www.macsales.com) is the only source, I am currently aware of, that has the 6 GB RAM.

OWC, at one time, had a reseller in Australia and you maybe able to order the 6 GB RAM Kit through their reseller.

If not, OWC has international shipping from its U.S. location and you can call them via their international phone number.

RAM is, relatively, easy for most newbie and novice Mac users to install.

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid_2007_mem_h/

Apr 27, 2015 10:31 PM in response to SanWong

Before embarking on a major OS upgrade, it would be wise, advisable and very prudent if you backup your current system to an external connected and Mac formatted Flash drive OR externally connected USB, Thunderbolt or FireWire 800, Mac formatted hard drive. Then, use either OS X Time Machine app to backup your entire system to the external drive OR purchase, install and use a data cloning app, like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, to make an exact and bootable copy (clone) of your entire Mac's internal hard drive. This step is really needed in case something goes wrong with the install of the new OS or you simply do not like the new OS, you have a very easy way/procedure to return your Mac to its former working state.

Then, determine if your Mac meets ALL minimum system install requirements.

Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard system requirements

Purchased Installer disc here.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

To install Snow Leopard for the first time, you must have a Mac with:

An Intel processor

An internal or external DVD drive, or DVD or CD Sharing

At least 1 GB of RAM (additional RAM is recommended)

A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer

At least 5 GB of disk space available, or 7 GB of disk space if you install the developer tools.

Once you have installed OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and have updated all the way to OS X 10.6.8, you can decide if you want to upgrade your iMac's OS further.

OS X 10.7 Lion system requirements

Purchased emailed download code here.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

To use OS X 10.7 Lion, make sure your computer has the following:

An Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor

Mac OS X v10.6.6 or later to install via the Mac App Store (v10.6.8 recommended)

7 GB of available disk space

2 GB of RAM

To install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, 10.9 Mavericks (free upgrade, but currently unavailable) or OS X 10.10 Yosemite (currently available free upgrade) you need one of these Macs:

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion purchased emailed download code here.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),

MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)

MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)

Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)

Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)

Xserve (Early 2009)

Your Mac also needs:

OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed

2 GB or more of memory (I strongly advise, at least, 4 GBs of RAM or more)

8 GB or more of available space

Next,

If you run any older Mac software from the earlier PowerPC Macs, then none of this software will work with the newer OS X versions (10.7 and onward). OS X Snow Leopard had a magical and invisible PowerPC emulation application, called Rosetta, that worked seamlessly in the background that still allowed older PowerPC coded software to still operate in a Intel CPU Mac.

The use of Rosetta ended with OS X Snow Leopard as the Rosetta application was licensed to Apple, from a software company called Transitive, which got bought out, I believe, by IBM and Appe could no longer secure their rights to continue to use Rosetta in later versions of OS X.

So, you would need to check to see if you have software on your Mac that maybe older than, say, 2006 or older.

Also, check for app compatibilty here.

http://roaringapps.com/

If you have any commercial antivirus installed and/or hard drive cleaning apps installed on your Mac, like MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, TuneUpMyMac, MacCleanse, etc. now would be a good time to completely uninstall these apps by doing a Google search to learn how to properly uninstall these types of apps.

These types of apps will only cause your Mac issues later after the install of the new OS X version and you will have to completely uninstall these types of apps later.

Once you have determined all of this, you should be able to find the latest versions of OS X by clicking on the Mac App Store icon in the OS X Dock and then login to the Mac App Store using your Apple ID and password and if you purchased a download code, input that code.

You can then begin the download and installation process of installing the newer versions of OS X from the Mac App Store.

Good Luck!

Apr 26, 2015 2:49 AM in response to MichelPM

Michel, have just read your advice to San Wong. I have a similar question. My Mac is 20 inch "late 2006" running 10.7.5 which is apparently it's maximum. Processor is 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and Memory is 3 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM. (was originally 2 GB, but local Apple shop added 1more last year)

Recently I have had slightly weird problems.. e.g. on start-up it opens with Mac Word, or Excel, neither of which are Log-In items, only restricted to Mail and Safari. Other unusual "happenings" are Screen Freezes, (resolved by clicking here and there) Something called "iWeb" has appeared along the row at the bottom of the screen, and I get asked for my Confidential Information on "Mobile Me" (which I have refused)

I have been told I can reload System 10.7.5, and I have thought about (worst scenario ?) buying a new 21" iMac with latest bells and whistles, but I suspect that somehow, Cloud has wormed it's way, uninvited, into the system.

Is my problem unique ? If not, do you have a suggestion for a clean-up.

My Disc Utility says Mac HD 250 GB Used 166 GB No. of files ! 645,500 !! Have two external HD a. Time Machine b. Photos, Music, other old stuff.

Will appreciate suggestions Eric

Apr 26, 2015 1:07 PM in response to MichelPM

Well, a step forward… next step is to find how to implement the 'entirely different solution' So will repeat description of my problem and add one other annoying intrusion. The Whirling Ball has started to appear (have been working on a newsletter in Pages) Solution so far is to quit Pages and reopen, not very elegant.

My Mac is 20 inch "late 2006" running 10.7.5 which is apparently it's maximum. Processor is 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and Memory is 3 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM. (was originally 2 GB, but local Apple shop added 1more last year)

Recently I have had slightly weird problems.. e.g. on start-up it opens with Mac Word, or Excel, neither of which are Log-In items, only restricted to Mail and Safari. Other unusual "happenings" are Screen Freezes, (resolved by clicking here and there) Something called "iWeb" has appeared along the row at the bottom of the screen, and I get asked for my Confidential Information on "Mobile Me" (which I have refused)

another "aid" attached to each item in the row at the bottom of the screen, is the list of "options" Was this an upgrade of 10.7.5 somewhere in the last 6 months ?

I have been told I can reload System 10.7.5, and I have thought about (worst scenario ?) buying a new 21" iMac with latest bells and whistles, but I suspect that somehow, Cloud has wormed it's way, uninvited, into the system.

Is my problem unique ? If not, do you have a suggestion for a clean-up.

My Disc Utility says Mac HD 250 GB Used 166 GB No. of files ! 645,500 !! Have two external HD a. Time Machine b. Photos, Music, other old stuff.

Will appreciate suggestions Eric

Apr 26, 2015 6:18 PM in response to SanWong

Dear Friends who helped me in replying to my enquiry, Thank YOU so much.

I have taken a look at:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_2_Duo

For iMac Core 2 Duo Models with Model ID: iMac7,1 I will possibly buy this:

4.0GB Kit (2.0GB+2.0GB) PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz SO-DIMM 200 Pin Memory Upgrade Kit

as I am using at home, and this price is good for me. Will order it, wait and do this slowly, as I am getting old now.

Dear Eric Dalzell,

I think our friends are suggesting you create a new subject heading about your questions, which is not exactly the same as mine,... but I think I will be interested in yours in my later stage of upgrades,... thank you for your sharing too.

Thank YOU all again, and I will keep you posted about my experience.

Have a nice day! [it is a public holiday here in Perth, WA]

San

Upgrade Mac OS X 10.4.11 to newest software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.