Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5s will not pair with bluetooth on my MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.3. It shows "My iPhone" on my Mac; I press pair; it shows correct codes on both devices; I accept; it then drops connection saying on iPhone cannot pair, help?

My iPhone 5s will not pair with bluetooth on my MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.3. It shows "My iPhone" on my Mac; I press pair; it shows correct codes on both devices; I accept; it then drops connection saying. On iPhone it states "connection unsuccessful: "MacbookPro" is not supported. On MacBook it just goes from connected to not connected.

Please Help. Thanks.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 3:46 PM

The iPhone is not designed to pair with any computer except for use as a personal hotspot (internet tethering) and then only if your cellular plan allows it. There are some things such as Handoff that require that Bluetooth be turned on for both devices but they are not paired. More information: Bluetooth: Why can't I pair my iPhone or iPad with another iOS device or with my computer?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2015 3:46 PM in response to YoRaaandy

The iPhone is not designed to pair with any computer except for use as a personal hotspot (internet tethering) and then only if your cellular plan allows it. There are some things such as Handoff that require that Bluetooth be turned on for both devices but they are not paired. More information: Bluetooth: Why can't I pair my iPhone or iPad with another iOS device or with my computer?

Apr 26, 2015 3:49 PM in response to roaminggnome

Use the iPone through bluetooth as a remote for Keynote...any tips for that? Only way is through WiFi but that was giving me troubles and not showing up on my phone to play keynote. I made sure it was on the correct WiFi and also had used it before and it worked but then the next time it didn't. Restarted devices, disconnected WiFi's and reconnected to still not have it work. Hopefully I'm a little bit clear in my description for you.

Apr 26, 2015 4:58 PM in response to YoRaaandy

There might be something in the following that will help with the wi-fi method: Use Keynote Remote on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If I'm correctly understanding the Bluetooth section quoted below, it would only be between two iOS devices, not a Mac:

Use Keynote Remote with Bluetooth

If you can't connect to Wi-Fi, you can use Keynote Remote with Bluetooth to control your Keynote slideshow from one iOS device to another (but not from a Mac). Slides might take longer to appear on Keynote Remote when connected via Bluetooth.

If you use iO7 on your remote device, you can't use it to control a presentation over Bluetooth on a device using iOS 8 or later.

My iPhone 5s will not pair with bluetooth on my MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.3. It shows "My iPhone" on my Mac; I press pair; it shows correct codes on both devices; I accept; it then drops connection saying on iPhone cannot pair, help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.