Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wireless keyboard, half the keys do not work

Folks, Got my brother's old mini (late 2009) with his old wireless keyboard. Half the keys do not function, mainly on the left side. the key board had a rattle

inside.Seeing as the device was free I opened it up by removing the plastic cap on the back. (I do own a spudger, having learned how to upgrade my iMac)

The engineering required to make this seemingly seamless device is amazing. The rattle was a small loose Phillips head machine screw. I found that it was

a mounting screw for the battery end of the bluetooth/ control circuit board. Could this screw have shorted out components on the board and blanked out half of my keys? Outside of sacrifices to the minor (micro?) deities of things electric, are there any repair/ replacement options available?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 4:58 PM

3 replies

Apr 25, 2015 9:32 PM in response to Egad Alas

If the following iFixit repair guide doesn't help, then it is time for a replacement.

see > https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Computer_Hardware

Additionally, you can use most any after-market or pc keyboard with a Mac.

Heck' I've been using $20 MK120 Keyboard/Mouse Combo's with all of my Mac's for years.

see > http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/desktop-mk120

Apr 26, 2015 3:51 AM in response to Egad Alas

Thanks, I guessed that this was the case. I have such an aversion to tossing out almost useful hardware. I know about the ability to use older keyboards, I'm using a 15 year old piece from my G4. Can't get myself to toss that brick, 'though it did work well as an auxiliary space heater last winter. I find myself stuck in the whole Apple user experience. The aesthetics of the hardware, the cleverness of the user interface, the smug feeling that most of the world's hackers don't find it worth their while to attack my machine. Oh well, I think that I'll just hone down the edge of the keyboard and use it to chop vegetables. Thanks again.

wireless keyboard, half the keys do not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.