Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My i-photo app gone, how do I get my photos? I know they should be on the i-cloud?

Where can I get the Apple i-photo app? When I go to the Apple store I don't find the original app that I got with my Mac. I have over 4000 photos that I can find. Help, I did a lot of updates today, updated to OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 then found my app not working.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 9:59 AM

Your iPhoto app remains in your Applications folder. If it's shown as a crossed-out circle, it means you have an incompatible, older version.

Log into MAS, go to your Purchases tab, look for iPhoto (it might be way down the list). If it's marked Open, then move your current iPhoto copy into the Trash (don't empty it), relaunch MAS and try again.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2015 9:59 AM in response to 1226VK

Your iPhoto app remains in your Applications folder. If it's shown as a crossed-out circle, it means you have an incompatible, older version.

Log into MAS, go to your Purchases tab, look for iPhoto (it might be way down the list). If it's marked Open, then move your current iPhoto copy into the Trash (don't empty it), relaunch MAS and try again.

Apr 26, 2015 11:44 AM in response to 1226VK

If MAS gives you the option to update, then iPhoto is still on your drive. If iPhoto was not installed, the option in MAS would be to Install. Migrating to Photos does not delete iPhoto. You might have moved it Inadvertantly to another location, sub-folder or perhaps even an external drive?

Perform asearch for iPhoto using Spotlight. That should find it.

Apr 26, 2015 11:50 AM in response to Rysz

I have an icon that looks like the old iphoto app but it has a crossed out circle on it, and when I check it I get this message.

In order to open "iPhoto", you need to update to the latest version.

"The version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible

with OS X Yosemite. Download the latest version for free from the Mac App Store."

Then when I go to the App Store I get this message.

"Item Not Available

The Item you’re requested is not currently available in the U.S. store."

Apr 26, 2015 12:05 PM in response to 1226VK

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Apr 26, 2015 3:28 PM in response to Yer_Man

This isn't working for me. If I click Update then I get a brief spinning wheel and then it stops. No attempt to update iPhotos takes place.

I have tried rebooting after dragging the old iPhotos app to the trash just in case it retained any pointers, but still MAS says "Update" rather than "Install".

.. and as I say, Update just doesn't work.

I'm stuck now without iPhotos, presumably just because I had version 9.6 when I did the 10.10.3 upgrade. It would have been nice if OS X had warned me about that. I just expected Photos and iPhotos to be there alongside each other after the upgrade. 😟

My i-photo app gone, how do I get my photos? I know they should be on the i-cloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.