Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should synchronizing 2 Video clips produce a compound clip?

All the tutorials I have watched show that synchronizing 2 video clips produce a synchronized compound clip. Even if the answer is no, my question is a little deeper.

For the life of me, I cannot get my 2 video clips synced correctly. It produces a clip with always one video taking up most of the resulting clip, and just a few seconds of the second clip at the end.

One clip is from a Sony A7 (1080/24P) and the other a Sony VG-20 (1080/24P). I recorded a clapboard sound from my iPad app in the start to both of the external mics.

I tried using PluralEyes, and it was spot on. Although it saw both clips as "Camera 1", so I manually had to create a "Camera 2", and move one of the clips there. Maybe there is a clue there?

But Final Cut Pro X has failed for both 10.1.4 and 10.2. Please see this short video I made demonstrating the problem.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2466418/Uploads/finalcutsync1.mp4

Thanks,

Chris

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 2014 MacBook Pro Retina 512/16GB

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 6:50 PM

The synchronize clip function is to sync audio to video. To sync multiple video clips you should use the multicam clip function.

6 replies

Apr 25, 2015 7:46 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

OK, that makes sense. Even though I have seen others use sync audio with 2 video clips on tutorial videos resulting in a compound clip, I think can let it go. Maybe it was an older version of FCP or something.

So here is the follow up. I have a 3rd audio clip I recorded using a Tascam external recorder. I tried the "New Multicam Clip" function, and it works well. I just need to learn how to manipulate multicam angles and such.

Thanks for the help.

Apr 26, 2015 7:10 AM in response to Sumocomputers4

Luis,

I have heard good things about Ripple Training and the guys behind it on the FCPX Grill podcast, so I will check it out. Thanks for the reminder. I had been using Lynda.com, and it is not bad, but their training seems to be a little out of date at times.

Tom,

Not trying to question your advice, just curious why it wasn't working for me. So I found a video showing that using the Synchronize Clips function with multiple video and audio clips does create a compound clip (see 4:00-5:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWOXOclSKg8

Baffles me why mine isn't working that way...

Chris

Should synchronizing 2 Video clips produce a compound clip?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.