Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 5K random kernel panics and rebooting

My brand new iMac 5k (I received 10 days ago) is randomly freezing, then showing kernel panic message and rebooting itself. It happens almost everyday at work with no apparent reason. Already tried reinstallling OS X, SMC and PRAM reset with no luck. The iMac is configured to never sleep, and it happens while using it, so no related with wake-up problems I read everywhere.

it's a maxed out iMac 5K (i7, 32GB of RAM, 3TB FD and the 295X 4GB VRAM) with updated Yosemite.

No peripherals attached (except an external USB 3.0 Lacie hard drive with video files for editing), no uncommon sofrware installed (only Final, Avid, Adobe Suite and Skype, Dropbox, etc.) and still happening randomly.

I had a chat with AppleCare and they told me I have 2 options:

- Taking it to service for revision.

- Asking for a refund or replacement.

Of course, I will not take it to revision (it's brand new!), but I don't know if ask for refund or replacement for a new one, because I readed too many iMac 5K users with similar problems. Does anyone knows if it is a common problem with iMacs 5K? If I ask for a replacement and still happens, can I ask then for a refund?

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 9:35 PM

2 replies

Apr 26, 2015 6:56 AM in response to Txiquim ©

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

iMac 5K random kernel panics and rebooting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.