Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes - Excessive Wake-ups (PWRB GLAN)

OS 10.10.2

iTunes 12.1.2.27

When I have iTunes connected on my PC running OS X it causes the system to wakeup every 10-15 minutes (even the monitor turns back on sometimes).

I have done extensive testing to narrow it down to iTunes, by disabling all programs and services and only having one program on at a time. The problem only occurs when iTunes is running.

Whenever iTunes i running I get: "Wake reason: PWRB GLAN (User)" every 10 or so minutes (yes I know PWRB refers to the power button being pressed, but I assure you I am not pressing the power button all night long every 10 minutes, and it is not a faulty power button either, because if you quit iTunes, the Mac sleeps fine all night long with no "User" created wake ups other than the normal "RTC (Alarm)" every few hours).

The only thing I can suspect is because of where all my media is stored. All my music, movies, and TV shows are on a server. The server is mounted as its own drive at boot by doing the following:

In /private/etc/ is a file named auto_data with the following code:

/Data -fstype=smb smb://GUEST@nameofserver/Data

Then in the same folder I added to the auto_master file the following code:

/- auto_data -nosuid,noowners

This mounts the folder called "/Data" from the server at the root of the system every boot and it doesn't lose the connection like using the 'Connect to Server' route does when sleeping.

In iTunes, under "Preferences" my 'iTunes Media folder location' is set to "/Data/Music".

During my testing, if I leave Finder or any other program open and connected to the /Data drive the system still sleeps fine, just not when iTunes i open. Problem is, I need to keep iTunes open to access movies, music, and TV from my AppleTV.

Anyone know why iTunes is waking up the system every 10 minutes? Is it trying to check its media is still connected to the server?

OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 7:27 PM

2 replies

Apr 26, 2015 9:50 AM in response to WilkyF18

So it seems the problem is with the Bonjour services when an AppleTV is on your network. It seems the AppleTV is constantly polling the host PC even when it is not in use. This is a strange behavior. There should be a way to tell the AppleTV to not continuously wakeup the host PC when it is not in use.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5109198?answerId=28142932022#28142932022

Re: Apple TV 3 wakes Mac Mini running iTunes with home sharing every 10 mins or less!

iTunes - Excessive Wake-ups (PWRB GLAN)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.