Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to see the scrubber bar in Imovie window

This might sound a little weird, but I don't see the scrubber bar in my Imovie library workscreen--and I don't see any dropdown menu options or icons that would make it visible. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance--C

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 10:47 PM

9 replies

Apr 27, 2015 1:39 AM in response to carolyndd

The playhead position is shown by the vertical white line with a white dot and a triangle at the top which is visible in your screenshot. Do you mean that you don't get the separate white line that follows your cursor when it is within the timeline pane (otherwise it doesn't show so it maybe difficult to capture in a screen shot)?

I seem to remember (when I used to use iMovie) that this happened sometimes after I had done a lot of editing and iMovie was becoming rather sluggish (probably because it was getting low on working memory). The solution (albeit temporary) was to quit and relaunch iMovie which probably clears out these temporary storage areas. It should still be possible to edit by moving the playhead indicator with the cursor.

There is no menu item controlling whether it is hidden or displayed.

Geoff.

Apr 27, 2015 2:37 AM in response to GeeD

Thanks again for getting back to me. What I'm looking for is a way to determine the exact time of a location in a clip, either in the clip view or the timeline view. This image seems to indicate that the clip view should have some kind of time bar:

User uploaded file

And it seems the timeline view should also have some way of keeping track of time (I can move the vertical white line along the clip in the timeline view, but there doesn't seem to be any way to see at what point the line is; the readout indicates how long each clip is but the number of seconds doesn't change as I move the playhead):

User uploaded file

So I'm looking for a way to determine via a clock/counter where exactly I am in a clip. I'm sure it's something simple, I don't know what I'm missing!

Apr 27, 2015 3:32 AM in response to carolyndd

There is (surprisingly) no precise playhead time position indicator in iMovie 10. Only the times of the start of each clip are indicated and then only to very rough precision provided you have not selected 'wrapped timeline'. You have to go back to iMovie 9 or use Final Cut Pro to get this.

I don't know where the illustrations you show came from but they do not appear to be from iMovie 9 or 10.

Geoff.

Apr 27, 2015 3:45 AM in response to GeeD

Thank you! That is not very useful to me, so I won't be able to use my version of Imovie (I'll see if I can get Imovie 9, and have just downloaded a trial version of Final Cut Pro). The illustrations came from here:

User uploaded file

which I guess is also not going to be very helpful. I wish I hadn't spent so much time trying to figure out how to do precise editing in Imovie--but at least now I know and can drop the project and try something else. Thanks for taking the time to clear that up.

Apr 27, 2015 3:57 AM in response to carolyndd

Ah. iMovie HD was version 6 from a long time ago though quite a few people still use it and consider it was the best ever version. If you had iMovie 9 on your computer it should still be available in the Applications folder but in its own folder. Otherwise you might have the install DVD from iLife '11. That is also available from Amazon.

FCPX is what I use now and I am very happy with it but I appreciate that the cost is significant. Its a good idea to try out free for a month.

Geoff.

Apr 27, 2015 4:31 AM in response to GeeD

Oh thanks--I'll check that out as well (I have a new Macbook Air that came with Imovie 10, so have downloaded 9, and now HD to check out--though I guess now that you've pointed it out the software is probably still on my previous Mac--will go have a look later). I've only got to make the one video, so will have a look at the month's trial of Final Cut Pro--will also have a quick look at FCPX as well now. Now I have too many options...and a deadline to finish this video 🙂

how to see the scrubber bar in Imovie window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.