Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Replacement Battery Shelf Life

My MBP 2009 Model still holds a charge of 2.5 hours. I've got a new Apple OEM battery sitting in my shelf since OS X keeps telling me to replace it, but I don't want to replace it until the old one inside the MBP has been completely used out.

Question: I don't know how long this battery has been in the shelf of the store I bought from? Will the life of my new battery decrease sitting in the shelf for let's say one more year? Or the New Apple Batteries retains it's life for years.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 3.06 GHz, 8 GB DDR3

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 10:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 11:03 PM

Go to about this mac, then more info... select the "power" menu and see what your current battery cycle count is. Your battery can last for 1,000 cycles before Apple considers it to be dead. If it is 1,000+ replace it because the battery could expand and damage your mac.

3 replies

Apr 26, 2015 5:52 AM in response to TheSnapDude

Thank you TheSnapDude... the battery cycle was somewhere 3600 and it still gave me a charge of 2.5 hours. Okay I replaced the battery, replaced HDD with an SSD, and shifted HDD to optical bay... The back lid is still open, are there any other measure to take before I close the back lid and install a fresh copy of Yosemite? Is it okay to put MBP on charge with the new battery while doing installation etc? Do I need to give it a full charge before using it?

Apr 26, 2015 10:58 AM in response to ASiMac

A battery on the shelf will deteriorate over time. I would charge the battery to 100% initially but you certainly can use the MBP at the same time as it is charging. I would not do that while the bottom panel is not in place. Finish all your work first.

Two major points to keep in mind: Avoid deep discharges and if you use AC a lot, do exercise the battery at least once per month to about the 40% charge level.

Here are the Apple support articles regarding batteries and power which you may find informative:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/batteries_power/

Ciao.

MacBook Pro Replacement Battery Shelf Life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.