Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I copy my bootcamp dmg file back to my harddrive

To begin, I had installed windows 8 with bootcamp, but after about a year I realized I needed more space. I tried to shrink my mac partition and expand my bootcamp partition, but it wouldn't allow me to increase the bootcamp partition. So I planed to make a img file of the bootcamp partition, then delete the bootcamp partition, then make a bigger partition and put the image file back on. I have already backed up and deleted the bootcamp partion. So my question is how do I make a new NTFS partition and burn the image file onto it. BTW the image file is a .dmg file. I would like to do this with Disk Utility, but im up to trying third party software.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 8:03 PM

7 replies

Apr 25, 2015 9:29 PM in response to cydget

There is no clean way to restore a .dmg of Windows back to disk. You can restore it back to the original Mac and try tools similar to Winclone or Camptune for backup and restore. If you restore it to a larger partition, a hybrid MBR can be created which let you mount the volume, but Windows may require Startup Repair.

A NTFS partition is not sufficient by itself to help you run Windows. Boot Manager and Boot sectors will still cause issue. What is the year of your Mini?

How do I copy my bootcamp dmg file back to my harddrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.