Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Effect of a power "brown-out" on Mac hardware? PLEASE HELP!

Hi,

Please could someone help me to understand the effect of a power "brown-out" on Mac hardware?

I have an iMac 27" (Late, 2013).

I would like to use a solar powered battery device with a 150 Watt External modified sine wave inverter. According to the Mac website, my model will use approx. 78W when idle, and 180W at CPU Max.

So, because I live in South Africa, where we now have load-shedding (planned black-outs depending on national energy grid pressure) I have invested in an EcoBoxx 160 DC + (http://www.ecoboxx.co.za/pages/products.php?app_id=4).

My question is thus: If I use my Mac with the device, and it happens to demand more than the 150W generated by the EcoBoxx, would this cause damage to any of its component parts?

I will only be using MS Word on my Mac under these conditions, so I imagine that if I close all other applications then the power demand of the Mac should not approach CPU max?

Also, if I ran it through a surge protector, would this make a difference?

I would be extremely grateful for any advice or suggestions, as I am desperately trying to complete my PhD dissertation, and cannot afford to continuously suffer the effects of load-shedding!

Thanks and Warmest Greetings,

Clinton

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), iMac 27" (Late, 2013)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 12:43 AM

There are no replies.

Effect of a power "brown-out" on Mac hardware? PLEASE HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.