Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movies not uploading to YouTube

Yesterday I updated iMovie to 10.0.8 and updated to OS X Yosemite version 10.10.3. I am trying to upload from iMovie to Youtube and I've never had a problem before. Now once I share and go into the theatre, where it normally shows the progress, it just says 'null'. Is anyone else having this problem and how do I fix it? P.S I am a computer noob so step-by-step instructions would be highly appreciated.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 11:58 PM

10 replies

Apr 26, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Annetdotal

I am having the same problem too. I am unable to post by logging into YouTube and dragging the move from the theater into YouTube. I have another related problem. Prior to two months ago, I posted to YouTube by using the share feature in iMovie in the theater section after I created the movie locally. When I used the share icon, it asks for the YouTube login credentials. Somehow, I created a second user in YouTube under the same user ID. When I log into YouTube, it asks which one but not when I log in through iMovie. The movies are posting to the wrong place on YouTube. With the second option no longer working through YouTube directly, can anyone suggest how to redirect the share in iMovie to the right place?

Apr 28, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Annetdotal

Exact same issue here. I have successfully uploaded many videos to youtube previously, but since updating to Yosemite 10.10.3 and iMovie 10.0.8, I haven't been able to. Once the share has started, it displays "uploading [my movie title]". After some time, however, it changes to "uploading (null)":

User uploaded file

[Update] After about the 10th try, it finally uploaded successfully. I dunno why it worked that time...

May 2, 2015 9:11 PM in response to Annetdotal

I'm glad i's not just me, it means it's not something just with my computer. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the updates. I spent several hours on the phone to customer support and they had me do a full system reboot and everything (my computer is only a month old and has practically nothing on it). That didn't work, I am still getting the same issue. I have only had success by exporting my movie and saving it to my computer and then uploading it to Youtube that way. It takes twice as long. I can't share directly from iMovie. Hopefully if enough errors are reported they will fix the bug and put out a new update.

Jun 12, 2015 8:15 AM in response to Annetdotal

I have come to the conclusion that iMovie version 10.0.8 was designed by whoever thought up waterboarding.

I can't list all the ways it ***** and ***** and ***** and *****.

This is just the latest - you try to export your video to Youtube, you get all the way to the end of the process, click "upload" and...nothing.

What is the software doing? Is it uploading without a progress bar?

Is it doing anything at all?

Let's try one more time!

Hello?

So - I come here looking for answers and see many, many people with the same issue - the new software *****.

But -

Why does this thing have to suck SO badly? How about sucking a little bit, not a complete aggravation-fest, and hours of your life down the drain?

To others considering upgrading to Yosemite -

My "upgrade" was really a severe downgrade, and has made me miserable, I'm not ashamed to say it. My ring tones that I made for my friends and family are all gone - three hours to try and get them back and onto my iPhone - and three hours of failure.

I

just

want

this

thing

to

work

please.

Yosemite upgrade also got rid of WORD. Where is it? How do I get it back?

Sigggggggggggh.......

Jun 12, 2015 1:32 PM in response to MacLikeMe

This is a round about way but it works for me. Close out of iMovie. Go to Finder >Go menu, then hit the Alt key and Library will pop up on the Go drop down menu. In the library folder, navigate to Preferences. Delete anything that starts with com.apple.iMovieApp. Then reopen iMovie and upload. I have to do this every time I upload to YouTube but it works. Also, try not to run other videos during upload.

Movies not uploading to YouTube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.