Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Carplay not working on Pioneer SPH-DA120

Recently bought the Pioneer SPH-DA120. Got it installed, but when connecting the Lightning cable, the head unit sees my iPhone 5s as just an iPod. CarPlay is enabled and when I connect my wife's 5c it activates CarPlay just fine. Any clues as to why my 5s doesn't get CarPlay to work?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 12:08 AM

4 replies

Apr 30, 2015 3:09 PM in response to Shinji43

Got my sph-da120 installed last night, before bolting it down I started to test ports and I had the same problem. Found this, a few others, and couldn't find an answer. While sitting there, I erased my phone and all contents, set it up as new and it worked fine. Restored apps from a backup and it stopped working again. Set the phone up as new, reloaded my apps and music manually and it's working perfectly. iphone 6, 128gb, ios 8.3, sph-da120 firmware 1.08. 1.07 is all that was on the download pages but I think 1.08 is out there somewhere for download. A few google searches may find it if you need it.

Apr 30, 2015 3:36 PM in response to Titan423

I ended up restoring my phone to factory settings, then using my backup to set it up again. Reset all Bluetooth connections, network settings, etc. I hooked it up, same issue. I gave up for the night, the next day on my way to work, I plugged it in since at least Pandora worked, and it suddenly registered CarPlay. It's strange, only thing is that the AppRadio I still can't get working cause it still says incompatible USB when running thru the digital AV adapter. So, gotta see what will get that goin now.

Jun 9, 2015 7:33 PM in response to Titan423

I run an AppRadio 4 (DA120) with an iPhone 6+ w/IOS 8.3 and everything works perfectly in both CarPlay mode and AppRadio mode.

The latest firmware is available on the Pioneer download page as 1.07 (new units indicate 1.08 but they are the same image and the number was changed by Pioneer to indicate the head unit production date). Pioneer claims they will not be providing a 1.08 for download for the DA-120.

For a variety of problems check the Pioneer output and smartphone settings as well as look at the iPhone settings for display, the Pioneer head should show (under General below "Siri"). Carplay requires iPhone 5 or later.

Some common AppRadio 4 issues:

• Did you connect the parking brake lead? It is critical this is wired right - I don't trust the gizmos that claim they bypass the function.
  • For AppRadio mode with video display you need to have an HDMI cable and USB to Lightning going to an Apple Digital A/V adapter.
  • You also need to change the Pioneer settings to HDMI out instead of USB or you will get a USB error.
  • For CarPlay you cannot use the Apple Digital A/V adapter and you must use USB1 port to Lightning plug on the iPhone
  • For CarPlay the Pioneer settings must be "USB" and smartphone "CarPlay"
  • Check the firmware on the Pioneer head unit, it should be 1.07 or 1.08.

Carplay not working on Pioneer SPH-DA120

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.