Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstall OS X after Unmounted HD with no wifi

I unmounted the Mac HD from the Disk utility by restarting the Macbook, and holding down command and R key. then tried to reinstall the the new OSX from the same menu but my MacBook Air wouldn't connect to the internet. it works to the point where it detects the wifi then when i click it says move closer to the signal. thats all it wont connect to the internet so i can't do anything therefore i have no OS. please HELP!!! was working properly 2 days ago before unmounted the Mac HD

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 11:26 PM

7 replies

Apr 26, 2015 11:40 AM in response to amasoood

What operating system were you using previously?

I have to look this up, but not all MAC OSXes supported booting up from a network drive you previously saved to iCloud.

If you want to do a fresh install, you will need to have an external backup somewhere - an external hard drive with a time machine backup or a bootable backup such as from SuperDuper.

Then create a bootable/startup drive (such as a flash USB drive) with the latest OS upgrade on it.

Otherwise, you are going to need to just do a standard upgrade from the App. Store using your AppleID.

An apple genius at the Apple store may be able to help you but you better have an external backup because they are going to overwrite the date.

Apr 26, 2015 11:41 AM in response to Lukcresdera

Forgot -

To remount the drive on start up --

Here are Apple's instructions:

Use these steps to choose a startup disk with Startup Manager:

1. Turn on or restart your Mac.
  2. Immediately press and hold the Option key. After a few seconds, the Startup Manager appears. If you don't see the volume you want to use, wait a few moments for Startup Manager to finish scanning connected drives.
  3. Use your mouse or trackpad, or left and right arrow keys to select the volume you want to use.
  4. Double-click or press the Return key to start up your Mac from the volume you selected.

If you have an optical drive connected to your computer, you can insert an installation disc to see it in Startup Manager. You can also attach FireWire or USB external hard drives that contain an operating system to add to the list of startup volumes. Startup Manager automatically adds bootable volumes as you connect them.

Apr 26, 2015 10:53 PM in response to Lukcresdera

its a macbook Air 2009 so i can't connect to the internet via ethernet wire or wireless(which doesnt seem to work) and i can't use a cd and i can't transfer a OS to the flash drive i'm stumped big time. but then i used the USB to ethernet converter it helped me connect to the internet but then i wasnt able to login to my apple account so yea stuck big time. i had OSX 10.10

Apr 27, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Lukcresdera

how do i remount it, i think it already is remounted because when i click on it i am able to click the unmount button. So what i have done is that i copied the OSX file onto my USB and then on restart i held options key but my USB never showed and i can't burn it on my school computers because it was asking for password. i will have to use a friends macbook hopefully that works.But you think if i install the OS will the wireless start working?. My apple ID is working because thats what i used on my schools computers to download OSX

reinstall OS X after Unmounted HD with no wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.