Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop pop up connect to server

Using a Macbook Pro Retina with the latest OS, 13inch 2.4 GHz running 10.10.3. Everytime I try to open a folder or the hard disk, I get a pop up asking me to connect to my network server, when I click cancel I get the spinning Beach Ball if away from home. This is no problem at home, I just connect to the server on the Network which is my desktop Mac or let the pop up just stay on the desktop since I cannot cancel it. However, when I am away from home that's impossible and I get the spinning Beach Ball and the machine becomes un-useable.

It goes like this, 1. start machine, open any folder then get a pop up saying, "Enter your name and password for the server "My name and Computer"" Connect as guest or Registered User", it will not allow me to cancel or connect as a guest, I can only connect as the Registered User by entering my password. As I said any other option other than connecting as the Registered User, just keeps bringing up the same Pop up until I enter my password. I have erased the Book once to no avail, and tried disconnecting any applications that could possibly be connected to the desktop, (threw away all music in iTunes and photos in iPhoto, and reset the applications, by creating an empty library in iPhoto, and nothing but an empty iTunes.). By searching the Internet, I see some people have had the same problem, and fixed it in various ways, one seemed to be by using the Terminal, however, none seem to actually address the issue clearly. I am at a loss as to how to proceed, need help..

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 13 inch 2.4GHz

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 12:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 6:45 PM

In the Finder preferences, make sure that new windows don't open to a folder on the server. Also remove any items on the server from your Favorites list.

5 replies

Apr 27, 2015 12:38 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the quick response. I don't see anything in Finder Preferences that would show me if I have an open folder on the server or not? I did find that my desktop that my Macbook tries to connect to constantly, inside it's favorites list is a copy of all documents that are in my documents folder, did it copy these automatically (perhaps I did it and cannot remember.), and can I throw them away safely from favorites folder, the server or really just a desktop Mac has the same folders in Favorites and Documents, copies really, it's running OS 10.6 snow leopard? I cannot remember placing anything in the Favorites Folder, but I suppose I could have. In Yosemite first I had to pull up view options to even see the user library, there I noticed in favorites is my documents.

I digress, BTW, the network has many Mac's on it, I have 5 Mac's, my Macbook Pro running 10.10.3 is the only Machine having this trouble, the rest are running older versions of an OS, two with 10.6, one 10.4 and one 10.5. Again thanks for the hints.

Apr 27, 2015 12:51 AM in response to Linc Davis

I threw away an alias in the Favorites Folder on the server, it didn't hurt anything, but the pop up menu still appears on the Macbook Pro when rebooted, asking me to give my password, Cancel doesn't work, I can only enter the password there is no option. When disconnected from the network and rebooted, it brings up a pop up that says "There was a problem connecting to the server "my computers name", click OK. When OK is clicked every 30 seconds the same pop up appears and the Beach Ball is spinning constantly.

Apr 27, 2015 6:45 PM in response to Linc Davis

First off I want to thank you for sticking with me through this, it's nice to have somebody to shoot ideas around with, it made me think up ideas, what I'm trying to say is, by just writing this down in this thread I solved my own problem. Linc I already deleted almost all of the Login items previously, as I did have the same idea, that something in that spot was trying to connect to the desktop through the network, that didn't work, but for some people it could be a problem. When you first mentioned, "make sure that new windows don't open to a folder on the server.", that comment made me look around for any folders connected to the server, then in my last comment I mentioned the word "alias", turns out that was the problem. In my users folder on the Macbook Pro, I had 2 folders that were alias folders, one was the download folder and the other was the Movie folder, I made new folders and put copies of everything into the folders, then threw away the alias folders and renamed the two new folders I created with their original names, presto no more problem.

Must be getting old, cannot remember making any alias folders, but I probably did, probably had some great idea to save hard disk space on the Macbook Pro, only has 250 GB disk, the Mac Pro has over 8 Terebytes of space so I thought I'd use it probably, bad idea, sometimes I get too Geeky for my own good. Again, Thanks Linc for sticking with me on this.

There were interesting ideas on the internet, seems other people have run into similar problems, one suggestion was the terminal to check for any "open processes". link was here, if interested.... http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/25639/why-is-my-mac-constantly-trying-t o-connect-to-another-server

I'm going to mark your last comment as being helpful, as actually all of it was helpful in forcing me to find those pesky alias folders.

How do I stop pop up connect to server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.