Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recently saved Pages document can't be opened

Hi,

I do write business letters from a template. Every now and then I can't open a recent saved document. Pages just gives me an error "(file name here) cannot be opened". Some files work others won't. And cannot find a solution for this. Anyone a suggestions?

At the moment I will start to use MS Office instead again.

Pages 5.5.3 on OS X 10.10.3

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 1:14 AM

8 replies

Apr 26, 2015 2:09 AM in response to gentrylord

In my own experience, switching from a double-click/tap on the Pages document icon, and using the File ▸ {Open, Open Recent} menu items seems to get past this random Pages v5 document amnesia.

Since Apple chose to retain the same .pages extension for Pages '08, Pages '09, and Pages v5, it is difficult to know what application version created the document. Try to open a Pages '08 document in Pages v5 and it will tell you it cannot open it, and go use Pages '09. Dare to open a Pages v5 document in an earlier Pages and you learn about index.xml files that are missing. Attempt to open a default Pages v5.5.3 single-file format document in Pages v5.2.2 on Mavericks and it blows up because it expects a package file format. Apple has lost their way.

MS Word is a business/professional grade application that in capable hands, shows the world what omissions and poor software design went into Pages v5.

Apr 26, 2015 12:26 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for your reply. But the document amnesia doesn't work at all. I'll give it one more try using another template or creating a new one respectively. I should never have switched to Pages. And yes, using the same file extension is just a pain in the ****. I've never used Pages versions prior to 5 so I thought I am good with incompatibilities from different versions...

Apr 26, 2015 10:46 PM in response to VikingOSX

I am using a v5 template which comes with Pages. I will now try creating a template by my own just to narrow it down to maybe a faulty template. But on the other hand some documents created from this template work just fine. But recently I just loaded the original template file (*.pages), wrote a letter then saved the letter as a new file and a day later I couldn't open the template. There was an error when I tried to close Pages. When I hit CMD+Q Pages asked me if I wanted to save the file or discard the changes (or whatever it asks there). I hit dismiss and Pages wouldn't quit. I had to force quit it 😟 So there must be something really wrong. I already tried to uninstall Pages and reinstall but nothing.

recently saved Pages document can't be opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.