Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the last iMac on which OSX with Classic will work?

I have been using a OS 9 application (MacMoney) for all my accounting needs over many many years. After Intuit stopped making Quicken with the capability to print checks I tested various other accounting apps but none worked as well as MacMoney. However, MacMoney was never updated to be used without Classic.

Now the iMac that I used as a dedicated computer for accounting has stopped working because of a failed logic board which is too expensive to replace if it as even available. Will an OSX with Classic work on any Intel (Non-PPC) iMac? I am hoping that one of the early versions of OSX would work on one of my older iMac units (Plastic Case). I cannot find any information to answer my inquiry.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4), OSX w/Classic compatible iMacs

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 5:48 AM

3 replies

Apr 26, 2015 9:55 PM in response to richard j from chattanooga

everymac.com has detailed specs and listings of Macs by capability, for example:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_capability/macs-that-support-macos-9-classic. html

from 10.5 and on Intel machines, Classic is not supported by Apple.

You might be able to use a third-party Classic/PPC machine emulator under a later OS version on an Intel machine, like SheepShaver. Even with such software, not all OS 9 software would be guaranteed to work properly through emulation, finding the older hardware to match the software you are using is usually the best solution, although it may be hard to find one in working condition after so many years.

May 2, 2015 7:26 PM in response to richard j from chattanooga

All PowerPC G3, G4, and G5 Macs support Classic of some variety.

In 2003, Apple stopped supporting booting into Mac OS 9, thus making it hard to access many Mac OS 9 printer drivers and graphics drivers. A simple screen capture of many software could suffice for most printing needs.

The iMac G4 700 Mhz, and 800 Mhz with Superdrive (the Combo drive is not included) are the last that actually will boot into Mac OS 9 with all native Mac OS 9 driver support on the iMac lineup. All iMac G4s with 1 Ghz or greater, the Combo drive 800 Mhz model and iMac G5s support Classic only Mac OS 9 under under Mac OS X 10.4.11 or earlier. 10.5 and later do not support Classic at all. A few non-iMac models supported dual booting 10.5 and 9. The iMac G3 models with Firewire all support Mac OS X 10.4.11. The USB only models support Mac OS X 10.3.9. Only the iMac G3s supported Mac OS 9 on retail 9 CDs (9 in orange on a white logo). The G4s and G5s must use their pre bundled installer discs to install 9 to use Classic, or boot Mac OS 9 if it is supported.

If you lack those discs, they are hard to find.

May 16, 2015 10:06 AM in response to richard j from chattanooga

richard j from chattanooga wrote:

After Intuit stopped making Quicken with the capability to print checks...

I am not sure what you mean by that statement.

I use Quicken 2007 for Mac and it still has the Print Checks function:

User uploaded file

You can obtain Quicken 2007 for Mac for $15 using the Intuit online chat function.

Use the chat feature for Quicken for Mac: Quicken 2007 for Lion: Shopping and Buying: Buying Quicken on this page:

https://quicken.custhelp.com/app/contact/plvl1/win

Quicken 2015 for Mac is a misidentified upgrade of Quicken Essentials and not an upgrade of Quicken 2007.

What is the last iMac on which OSX with Classic will work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.