Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Amplifying the WiFi signal

Hello. I am a new member here. I want to amplify the already existing WiFi signal in our house. Is it a good idea to buy an AirPort Express to do that? Or a simple repeater would do the job?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Autolykos

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), Amplifying the WiFi signal

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 2:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 3:51 PM

An Express cannot amplify wireless ever..

It can act as extender to another Apple wireless router.. but no other brand.

I would strongly recommend you buy a repeater based on the exact hardware you already own.. or plan on connecting various wireless items by ethernet..

The problem is wireless repeater tends to be propriety. Apple routers cannot extend wireless for other brands.. and many other brands cannot extend wireless for apple. The old wireless repeater codes were not updated from WEP security.. and so each company does what they think is best.

You can buy universal wireless repeaters but they work poorly.. !!

And I strongly encourage you not to wireless repeat at all.. due to the fact that it will slow the network down drastically.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2015 3:51 PM in response to Autolykos

An Express cannot amplify wireless ever..

It can act as extender to another Apple wireless router.. but no other brand.

I would strongly recommend you buy a repeater based on the exact hardware you already own.. or plan on connecting various wireless items by ethernet..

The problem is wireless repeater tends to be propriety. Apple routers cannot extend wireless for other brands.. and many other brands cannot extend wireless for apple. The old wireless repeater codes were not updated from WEP security.. and so each company does what they think is best.

You can buy universal wireless repeaters but they work poorly.. !!

And I strongly encourage you not to wireless repeat at all.. due to the fact that it will slow the network down drastically.

Amplifying the WiFi signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.