Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X on Macbook Air 13"?

Hello, I am going to buy a Macbook at some point in the next couple of weeks for college work, primarily office processing and music production with Logic Pro X.

The Macbook Air 13" looks really good but will it be able to cope with Logic Pro X? I would buy the RAM and Processing upgrades (no change to SSD capacity as I have portable hard drives). Either that or a Macbook Retina 13" as standard, no upgrades.

I have an iMac at home for all the major power multitasking things, I just need a portable option to take with me. If an upgraded Air can do those tasks then I prefer that option, as much as the screen is nice on the Retina I'm not a film buff so it doesn't matter. How does the i5 in the Retina compare to the i7 in the Air.

Answers are much appreciated, thank you very much.

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 12:09 PM

What follows is simply a personal opinion.. and so others may disagree....

A Macbook Air, while very good for the purpose it is designed for... (A light. efficient, portable notebook type device) it is not really suitable for use with a very resource demanding application such as Logic Pro... You could use it, yes...... but depending on how complex your arrangements are... number of tracks.. type of plugins.. number of audio tracks and so on.. you would likely soon run into it's limitations...

I would suggest you put your money into a Macbook Pro via Apple's Refurb store... (Same warranty etc.. as new but usually about 20-30% cheaper).... get as fast a i7 as you can... along with 16GB of Ram.... and you should be much better off..

The following site is extremely useful at tracking down which refurb units are available in your country.....

https://www.refurb.me/us/

Note: I haven't bought a full priced Apple product in a loog time.. having bough my last 9 Macs, iPads and other sundry things like Airport Extremes.. via the refurb store and frankly, you would never know they were refurbed... as Apple pay really good attention to detail and testing of such units before reselling them.. plus, as i said earlier.. you have the exact same warranties as new models along with whatever Applecare you may choose to buy too... For me it's a no brainer to buy refurb.. if the gear is available.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2015 12:09 PM in response to 12arsenal

What follows is simply a personal opinion.. and so others may disagree....

A Macbook Air, while very good for the purpose it is designed for... (A light. efficient, portable notebook type device) it is not really suitable for use with a very resource demanding application such as Logic Pro... You could use it, yes...... but depending on how complex your arrangements are... number of tracks.. type of plugins.. number of audio tracks and so on.. you would likely soon run into it's limitations...

I would suggest you put your money into a Macbook Pro via Apple's Refurb store... (Same warranty etc.. as new but usually about 20-30% cheaper).... get as fast a i7 as you can... along with 16GB of Ram.... and you should be much better off..

The following site is extremely useful at tracking down which refurb units are available in your country.....

https://www.refurb.me/us/

Note: I haven't bought a full priced Apple product in a loog time.. having bough my last 9 Macs, iPads and other sundry things like Airport Extremes.. via the refurb store and frankly, you would never know they were refurbed... as Apple pay really good attention to detail and testing of such units before reselling them.. plus, as i said earlier.. you have the exact same warranties as new models along with whatever Applecare you may choose to buy too... For me it's a no brainer to buy refurb.. if the gear is available.

May 6, 2015 3:45 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

I use a 2012 Macbook Air 13" with Logic Pro X without any problems (1.8, 4GB, 128GB SSD). However my usage is pretty basic: 10-20 tracks of audio with 2-3 plugins each and no synths or virtual instruments. I use an external display when in my studio.

I recorded my whole album on this machine using a Tascam US-1800 via USB.

Compared to my father-in-laws iMac (3.4, 8GB, 256GB SSD) that I occasionally use, the Macbook Air is slower regarding project loading/saving/bouncing. But on both machines, Logic Pro runs exactly the same. No drop outs, no clipping or glitches.

I can say for 100% certainty that my usage of Logic on the Macbook Air does work without any problems, performance wise. I spent two weeks on a cruise ship and used my Macbook to mix and arrange some tracks while on battery power, using headphones, without any problems whatsoever.

That being said, if you are seriously going to use Logic for professional production, then in my opinion a Macbook Pro would be better for the following reasons:

Better display

More RAM (16GB)

Faster CPU

Since, in the real production world, time is money, and a faster computer is money well spent. You sacrifice portability for power with the Macbook Pro, but if you are making money on your projects, then portability is less of a concern. Honestly if you were going to be professionally producing music I would use your iMac instead. If you are going to run many virtual instruments or synths, then the Macbook Air would possibly not be powerful enough.

However in my case, I use the Macbook Air for all my tasks (office/work/school/music) and I have not had a situation where I was thinking "geez this computer is slowing me down".

Regarding the i5 vs i7.. Thousands of opinions exist on this debate. In my opinion, the real world difference is not worth the $. You said that you have external hard drives for more space. I would spend the $200 i7 upgrade money on a larger internal SSD. I can tell from personal experience that my 128GB SSD is way to small. Some might argue that the i7 would be better for Logic regarding the usage of plugins, synths, etc. My counter is that a Macbook Pro would be better, not an i7 Macbook Air. I would not buy an i7 Macbook Air if you need more power; buy a Macbook Pro, or iMac, or MacPro. The real world difference between the i5 and i7 on a Macbook Air is not worth the money. Save that $200-300 and buy the Macbook Pro with it.

Again, small projects like mine (1-5GB in size) load reasonably fast (5-20 seconds) and save just as fast. If you have many tracks, VIs or synths or plugins, then you are justified buying a much faster machine like the Macbook Pro. For me, I wanted lightweight and portability.

If i were to "do it over again" I would STILL buy the Macbook Air, except with 8GB RAM and a larger SSD. And I only want more RAM because I use VirtualBox for running Windows and Linux in a VM. But I made a mistake by not spending extra money on a larger SSD. That would be the only thing I would change. Using external HDD works, but it is definitely slower, and that is something you will notice. My next laptop will be a Macbook Air (or the equivalent) with as much on board storage as possible. The baseline CPU and RAM will be "good enough" for my music projects.

Good luck in your musical endeavors. Just remember that its the music that counts, not on what kind of machine you record it on.

Oct 18, 2016 10:07 AM in response to dsmedic10

Hey Chap,

How are you doing... hope you doing good.

well I felt good after reading your experience about Macbook air 13" 128GB with 8GB RAM

cos I am using the same because i didn't have a good budget for pro or other space macs. actually i wanted to learn music so i collected money and chose to buy my dream MacBook air.

but after downloading all loops and required sounds for garageban, i am left with only 87GB of space in my MACBOOK AIR.. so I wanted to know..

is that enough for me to create music and recording.. with 87GB of space and that won't effect my MacBook air...

coz I got dishearten that I am lacking of space and took wrong decision to buy MacBook air 13" 128GB space..

hope you understood what do i want to ask.

Oct 18, 2016 2:16 PM in response to 12arsenal

HI, I have macbook pro retina 15 inch maxed out with Flash storage and connected to a Thunderbolt 27 display.

I Also have a 13" macbook air, maxed out i7 with 8gb ram, also with Flash storage.

both seem to handle Logic Pro x equally well! I have had no problems running 40+ tracks with plugins.

the 15" macbook pro is a nicer screen, but makes no difference regarding Logic!

hope this helps a bit!

Oct 22, 2016 11:44 AM in response to kerochan

Hey chap,

since you had a experience of MacBook air 13" 128GB with logic pro x and you mention once that you were easily able to greta 20 tracks which was enough of you to learn.

because I am left with 87Gb of space in my MacBook air 13" 128GB space and want to learn music creation with garageband and creat some sounds with recording. is 87GB enough for me to use garageband and creat stuff.

hope you got my query.

Dec 7, 2016 4:29 AM in response to iamacash

iamacash wrote:

is that enough for me to create music and recording.. with 87GB of space and that won't effect my MacBook air...

coz I got dishearten that I am lacking of space and took wrong decision to buy MacBook air 13" 128GB space..

I've got one of these, and I love them for added disk space. I keep it in there all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K73NT0S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&col id=T4U7XIYWSVWM&coliid=IZFZNPLPZSRW7&psc=1

Logic Pro X on Macbook Air 13"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.