Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why are my photos suddenly in JPEG format when taking them from camera card to IPHOTO - which then wont let me download into a file! Help been doing this for years and something has suddenly changed in the last 2 days to my camera? or IPHOTO??

I am away for a year and have been downloading pictures from my camera - a FUJIFILM EXR compact for the last 15 weeks into files on my mac using IPHOTO no problem...suddenly in the last 2 days I have tried to do this and IPHOTO opens the pictures ok but wont downoad them as they are now JPEG? have I switched something over inadvertently or what - help please!!!! many thanks

MacBook

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 7:43 AM

9 replies

Apr 26, 2015 9:11 AM in response to NewForest10

sorry maybe Im not making my issue clear...thanks for answering anyway:

over the last years- but 15 weeks specifically I have downloaded photos from my camers card- putting it straight into the apple mac and then opening IPHOTO then i am able to click and put the pics into my folders in IPHOTO but as of 2 days ago - the camera card went in, the pics opened BUT there is an error message which states iphoto cannot save them to file......as they are JPEGS

I can see that others too have had this issue and there are 'answers' but I am a complete novice and cannot understand the answers given and need someone to 'hand hold me' through a step by step this is what you must do....

so hope that now is cleared as to why there is a 'problem'

hope you can still help me thanks for you time

Apr 26, 2015 9:06 AM in response to Yer_Man

sorry maybe Im not making my issue clear...thanks for answering anyway:

over the last years- but 15 weeks specifically I have downloaded photos from my camers card- putting it straight into the apple mac and then opening IPHOTO then i am able to click and put the pics into my folders in IPHOTO but as of 2 days ago - the camera card went in, the pics opened BUT there is an error message which states iphoto cannot save them to file......as they are JPEGS

I can see that others too have had this issue and there are 'answers' but I am a complete novice and cannot understand the answers given and need someone to 'hand hold me' through a step by step this is what you must do....

so hope that now is cleared as to why there is a 'problem'

hope you can still help me thanks for you time

Apr 26, 2015 10:21 AM in response to NewForest10

Try the following:

1 - launch Image Capture (located in the Applications folder) and connect your camera.

2 - using IC upload all of the pictures to a folder on the Desktop.

3 - try opening the photos with Preview. Can you?

4 - if you can import the folder of photos into iPhoto.

5 - disconnect the camera and reformat the memory card using the camera.

6 - take some test shots

7 - try to import directly into iPhoto from the camera.

User uploaded file

Apr 26, 2015 11:35 AM in response to Yer_Man

hi there - I did hold down the key and then created a new library - all fine , then I get stuck as I download my pictures by inserting my memory card into the lap top and as soon as I open the card ALL the photos are now JPEG - even those which I have had on the camera card for months and months and have already downloaded 'as normal' previously ?! doh - ?? ideas have I dont somethng on my compact camera?? just cannot think what next 😟 I am away in europe for a year and only into week 15 so cannot do much else except ask for help!!!!

thanks very much for your time on this its really appreciated...I see its morning where you are -Im in spain right now (but Im english)

Apr 26, 2015 11:38 AM in response to Old Toad

fell a first hurdle as plugged in a lead and found the folder with the little camera picture etc...except it said 'no devices found' tried several times and used both the ports I have on the left of my mac......nothing?!

I normally only ever have inserted my camera card directly into the lap top in order to download

Im also VERY untalented so do need everything spelled out for me 😟 sorry

why are my photos suddenly in JPEG format when taking them from camera card to IPHOTO - which then wont let me download into a file! Help been doing this for years and something has suddenly changed in the last 2 days to my camera? or IPHOTO??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.