Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I upgrade to Yosemite, can I revert back if I want?

I would like to try upgrading to Yosemite, but I'm sceptical as there is a lot of bad feedback with it. So if I do, and I find too many problems, can I revert back to Mavericks?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 5:33 AM

6 replies

Apr 26, 2015 5:40 AM in response to TTeddyau

TTeddyau wrote:

I would like to try upgrading to Yosemite, but I'm sceptical as there is a lot of bad feedback with it. So if I do, and I find too many problems, can I revert back to Mavericks?

YES you can. See this thread with 500+ replies

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6604300?tstart=0

However, you rarely - if ever - hear from those who have no problems with Yosemite.

More RAM is always good if your machine can support it.

Make a backup and upgrade.

Apr 26, 2015 7:31 AM in response to TTeddyau

Csound1 gives the best answer for anyone upgrading regardless of the response to an upgrade. Always back up first. Most people who have had a bad experience with Yosemite either don’t have enough RAM or they are upgrading a computer that is already experiencing problems and think the upgrade will go away. That just doesn’t happen. If Csound1 gave rule #1 for upgrading here’s rule #2: if your computer isn’t stable before you upgrade it, don’t expect it to be stable after you upgrade.

If your computer doesn’t have 8GB of RAM or at least 4GB and an SSD, then upgrade the hardware before you even think about installing Yosemite. Backup first and if returning to a previous version of the OS is lots easier if you have a clone (exact duplicate) rather than a TimeMachine backup. And if you are going to rely on a TM backup then do not let it back up your newly upgraded computer until you are satisfied you intend to keep Yosemite.

If I upgrade to Yosemite, can I revert back if I want?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.