Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use iphoto after yosemite 10.10.3, that have disabled it for new photo app?

My iMac did install new yosemite 10.10.3 telling me that new Photo app was "best ever" but now I can't open old iPhoto library because it was in old format of iPhoto library and the iPhoto app was now unusable because new Photo app. Can you help me!!??

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 7:18 AM

and the iPhoto app was now unusable because new Photo app. Can you help me!!??

Which version of iPhoto do you have installed? With Yosemite, MacOS X 10.10.3, you need to update iPhoto to version 9.6.1. Only that version is fully compatible.

Apple stopped selling iPhoto, but anyone who bought iPhoto from the AppStore or updated it to a version sold at the App Store (iPhoto 9.4.5 or later) will be able to reinstall from the App Store by downloading from the Purchases tab.

If you have any version of iPhoto, that has been updated from the AppStore and is associated with your Apple ID, try to reinstall from the "Purchases" page.

• Unhide iPhoto, if it is hidden on your Purchases page (See this link: Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases)
  • Trash the incompatible iPhoto version, but don't empty the Trash.
  • Reload your Purchases page at the App Store with ⌘R
  • Then download from that page.

The step "Trash the incompatible iPhoto version, but don't empty the Trash." must not be skipped. If Spotlight sees a version of iPhoto installed, the AppStore will try to update instead of reinstall, which does not work.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2015 7:18 AM in response to Zull

and the iPhoto app was now unusable because new Photo app. Can you help me!!??

Which version of iPhoto do you have installed? With Yosemite, MacOS X 10.10.3, you need to update iPhoto to version 9.6.1. Only that version is fully compatible.

Apple stopped selling iPhoto, but anyone who bought iPhoto from the AppStore or updated it to a version sold at the App Store (iPhoto 9.4.5 or later) will be able to reinstall from the App Store by downloading from the Purchases tab.

If you have any version of iPhoto, that has been updated from the AppStore and is associated with your Apple ID, try to reinstall from the "Purchases" page.

• Unhide iPhoto, if it is hidden on your Purchases page (See this link: Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases)
  • Trash the incompatible iPhoto version, but don't empty the Trash.
  • Reload your Purchases page at the App Store with ⌘R
  • Then download from that page.

The step "Trash the incompatible iPhoto version, but don't empty the Trash." must not be skipped. If Spotlight sees a version of iPhoto installed, the AppStore will try to update instead of reinstall, which does not work.

How to use iphoto after yosemite 10.10.3, that have disabled it for new photo app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.