Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Apple Photos...cannot export anymore!??!!

Hi and tnxs for reading.

I just did a major update on my MacBook Pro running Mavericks and after startup I realised that my Photo Library is not linked to iPhoto anymore but to a new App called Photos.

Photos are one of the most important things in what I am keeping (and backupping) on my Mac and although I did not have time so far to check this new software I was surprised (and annoyed) enough when I realised that I cannot do anymore a lot of operations that I was used to do with iPhoto.

The first is this: on top of time machine backups I was used to do yearly manual backups by exporting all the photos of every year on external drives, by automatically creating one folder for each event which was automatically named with the name of the event. Nice and easy feature in iPhoto. It looks like this feature is not present anymore in Photos!... we can export only events by creating folders related to "moments" and not events... this means that if I have about 1000 events for this year and need to export them by creating 1000 folders each with the name of the related event and its photos inside, I will not be able to do it anymore with one click...but maybe I will have to work all the day or even more to do this manually...???

Hope there is something wrong in my quick look because I switched to iPhoto a few years ago by accepting to trust in its reliability and if I was wrong......that would really annoy me.

Many tnxs.

Regards.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 10:10 AM

Why not continue to use iPhoto? It works well with MacOS X 10.10.3.

If you did not uninstall iPhoto, it will still be there in your Applications folder. And if you had updated to the latest version iPhoto 9.6.1 before you upgraded to MacOS X 10.10.3, you can simply drag iPhoto back to the Dock from your Applications folder and continue to use it. Double click iPhoto and confirm, that you want to open iPhoto and not Photos. It is not compulsory to use Photos, while it it still the first release.

It looks like this feature is not present anymore in Photos!... we can export only events by creating folders related to "moments" and not events...

Right, the Moments are the new events in Photos. And they are created automatically, based on capture time and location.

But you can select all photos in a year at once, and select the "Moment name" subfolder format. The subfolders will be created automatically.

User uploaded file

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Jet787

If you did not uninstall iPhoto, it will still be there in your Applications folder. And if you had updated to the latest version iPhoto 9.6.1 before you upgraded to MacOS X 10.10.3, you can simply drag iPhoto back to the Dock from your Applications folder and continue to use it. Double click iPhoto and confirm, that you want to open iPhoto and not Photos. It is not compulsory to use Photos, while it it still the first release.

It looks like this feature is not present anymore in Photos!... we can export only events by creating folders related to "moments" and not events...

Right, the Moments are the new events in Photos. And they are created automatically, based on capture time and location.

But you can select all photos in a year at once, and select the "Moment name" subfolder format. The subfolders will be created automatically.

User uploaded file

Apr 26, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Jet787

I have tried the new Photo too and decided to revert to iPhoto. As léonie says iPhoto is still in your Applications folder and you can drag it to your dock and continue using it. At some point in the future perhaps Apple will make some operating system changes which will disable it - but at least this will give you a program to use while everyone asks Apple to improve the new Photo!

All of your photos (previous to updating to Photo) will be in iPhoto but be aware that any changes you make using iPhoto won't be carried across to the new app. I think also that if you purposely import new photos into the old iPhoto, they may not show under the new app - but I might be wrong on that.

In the meantime I'd encourage you to fill out a feedback form making your comments so that, hopefully, enough people will encourage Apple to improve the new Photo. Surprisingly, Apple don't have a feedback form for the new Photo, but the old iPhoto feedback form is here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto.html

Apr 26, 2015 10:21 AM in response to lgcebuk

Surprisingly, Apple don't have a feedback form for the new Photo, but the old iPhoto feedback form is here:

The new Photos.app is not part of iLIfe '11 like iPhoto has been, but is installed as part of MacOS X. That is why the Photos forum is linked among the System Software forums: Photos for Mac https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/photos_osx/content?filterID=conte ntstatus[published]~objecttype~objecttype[thread]

Apr 26, 2015 10:28 AM in response to léonie

Tnxs,

I already tried that but I get a warning when I am going to open iPhoto since the Library is now linked to Photos and, as per Igcebulk reply, it will not properly work. At the end iPhoto will be discontinued aswell and I need something reliable and consistent since reliability and importance of my photos is paramount.

As regarding the way to export photos of a year as you say, as already explained in my msg, they go to subfolders whose names have no sense at all, just place and time.

Just to make an example: if I go from the 10th to the 30th August on holidays in Africa, I like to have a Folder called i.e. Africa 2015 Holiday; if in September I have a 2 days meeting in London, 3 days trip in Houston for work and another 10 days in French Guyana and I make a party at home for my wife birthday on top of a party at the restaurant, I would like to have the chance to easily export my photos in 5 different folders: 1) Africa 2015 Holiday, 2) London meeting, 3) Houston trip, 4) F Guy, 5) Wife Birthday, and not (as it looks it is going to happen now), a lot of different "moments" folder in all places of Africa, London, Houston, Kourou/Cayenne, Home + restaurant, without any sense of Events.

On top of this, in order to give back a sense of events I am forced to create albums... which is not smart at all...

Apr 26, 2015 10:41 AM in response to léonie

Thank you.

Other 2 questions:

1) so far I used Streaming Photo to have my photos synched from my iOS devices to my iPhoto without having to connect the USB cable; i.e., open iPhoto, open Streaming Photo, import the photos which were shot with my iPhone, then delete them from the cloud, but not vice versa, since there is a massive amount of photos that I directly import from different cameras through standard SD from my Mac: there was the option to select what way to do this (activate iOS to Streaming P and deactivate Mac to Straming P).

Now, with Photos, if I enable a Streaming Photo on the Mac, it automatically synch to the cloud also the photo I import on the Mac via SD...!! So I am forced to disable it if I do not want this to happen... is that correct?

2) In case in the future I decide to buy the extra storage on iCloud and all my Library goes on the cloud, what happens to my local library? Of course I would like to have that updated as well on my Mac drive (not on iOS devices for obvious space limitations) for safety reason in order to have multiple backup copies (Time Machine, manual Library backup, etc...) on top of the iCloud one. Would it be possible??!

Thank you.

Apr 26, 2015 10:46 AM in response to Jet787

I already tried that but I get a warning when I am going to open iPhoto since the Library is now linked to Photos and, as per Igcebulk reply, it will not properly work

The warning is just a routine warning, that the library has been migrated to Photos.

See Apple's Support document: If Photos won't open a library that you already migrated - Apple Support

But since the migration created a copy for Photos, the original library will work with iPhoto; but naturally, any edits you are doing in your iPhoto Library will not be visible in the migrated Photos library. So, if you are using iPhoto on your iPhoto Library, you will have to migrate the library aagin to see the edits in Photos.

Apr 26, 2015 11:03 AM in response to léonie

Thank you.

So as far as I keep both Photo and iPhoto I have 2 libraries, as I can see iPhoto migrated photolibrary and Photo library, both about 100GB which now are drastically reducing available space on my Mac. Could you confirm that I can delete the iPhoto migrated library when I will decide to stop using iPhoto? And for now, if I decide to use only iPhoto, can I delete the Photo library and keep only the migrated iPhoto library in order to regenerate a new Photo library the day I will with to it?

What is the official procedure to migrate again iPhoto library to Photos?

New Apple Photos...cannot export anymore!??!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.