Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I back up my iphone if I'm locked out

I have locked myself out of my phone and have never backed it up. Is there a way to back up while it's locked

iPhone 5c, iOS 8

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 6:21 AM

Hello there dawnfranze,

It sounds like you haven't backed up your device to iTunes and cannot get into your phone because the passcode has been forgotten. You can try to backup to iTunes by connecting it to your computer, but it will likely ask you to unlock the device with the passcode. This article will help you restore your device, but it will erase your data.

Forgot passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled

If you had an iCloud backup you should be able to restore it when you setup the phone again with this article:

iCloud: Restore or set up your iOS device from iCloud

1. In the Setup Assistant, proceed to “Set up your device,” tap Restore from a Backup, then sign in to iCloud.

2. Proceed to “Choose backup,” then choose from a list of available backups in iCloud.

After using an iCloud backup to restore or set up a device:

• Your settings and accounts are restored from the iCloud backup you chose. Your device restarts and begins downloading your purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, photos, and other content. If your device can’t download the version of an app that was backed up, it downloads the latest version.

Your purchased content is automatically downloaded from the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store based on iTunes in the Cloud availability by country. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they have been refunded or are no longer available in the store.

• You may be asked to enter passwords for iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store accounts to restore purchased items.

• Progress bars appear below Home screen icons for apps being downloaded.

To make an app a priority for downloading, tap its icon.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2015 6:21 AM in response to dawnfranze

Hello there dawnfranze,

It sounds like you haven't backed up your device to iTunes and cannot get into your phone because the passcode has been forgotten. You can try to backup to iTunes by connecting it to your computer, but it will likely ask you to unlock the device with the passcode. This article will help you restore your device, but it will erase your data.

Forgot passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled

If you had an iCloud backup you should be able to restore it when you setup the phone again with this article:

iCloud: Restore or set up your iOS device from iCloud

1. In the Setup Assistant, proceed to “Set up your device,” tap Restore from a Backup, then sign in to iCloud.

2. Proceed to “Choose backup,” then choose from a list of available backups in iCloud.

After using an iCloud backup to restore or set up a device:

• Your settings and accounts are restored from the iCloud backup you chose. Your device restarts and begins downloading your purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, photos, and other content. If your device can’t download the version of an app that was backed up, it downloads the latest version.

Your purchased content is automatically downloaded from the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store based on iTunes in the Cloud availability by country. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they have been refunded or are no longer available in the store.

• You may be asked to enter passwords for iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store accounts to restore purchased items.

• Progress bars appear below Home screen icons for apps being downloaded.

To make an app a priority for downloading, tap its icon.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

can I back up my iphone if I'm locked out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.