Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice/opinions requested please re. Thunderbolt storage

I need to purchase some more storage for my MacBook Pro. SInce I will be storing and working on large photos speed is important.

I am considering purchasing a WD My Book Thunderbolt Duo 6TB (in RAID 0) but will need to daisy chain it between my Mac and it's monitor and am a little concerned about doing this… Just wondered if anyone has any experience of this and whether they would recommend it.

Any advice would be much appreciated….

Many thanks, Karen

P.S.

I only have USB2 ports on my Mac - so have discounted USB drives.

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 5:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 7:29 AM

I’d never buy any external drive from Western Digital. They use proprietary chipsets and their customer support is industry worst class. Even though I like their drives just the bad experiences I’ve had with customer and tech support makes me think twice. Consider OWC or LaCie instead. I don’t have any experience with daisy chaining monitors with TB, just drives. Hope somebody can chime in top help there.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2015 7:29 AM in response to KEP27

I’d never buy any external drive from Western Digital. They use proprietary chipsets and their customer support is industry worst class. Even though I like their drives just the bad experiences I’ve had with customer and tech support makes me think twice. Consider OWC or LaCie instead. I don’t have any experience with daisy chaining monitors with TB, just drives. Hope somebody can chime in top help there.

Apr 26, 2015 7:52 AM in response to dwb

Hi dwb,

Thank you very much for your response…..

I've had a quick look and I think OWC is US based (I'm in the UK) but have found the LaCie 4TB d2 Thinderbolt2 and USB 3 desktop hard drive so think this might be a good bet….?

I'm still hoping someone will be able to advise on the daisy chaining...

Many thanks, again….

Apr 26, 2015 7:59 AM in response to Csound1

Hi Csound1,

Thanks for your reply.

I would just like to chain it between my Dell monitor with Thunderbolt connection and my Macbook Pro….. Do you think this would be fine…?

Probably a stupid question but will I see any degradation on the monitor if I have the drive in between…?

Many thanks, Karen

Apr 26, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Csound1

Hi,

Just to clarify...

Currently I connect my Dell Monitor into the Thunderbolt connector in my Macbook and it works fine…. But you think that I could not connect my monitor to the drive using the same Thunderbolt connector and then connect the drive to the Macbook…?

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding….

Many thanks, Karen

Apr 26, 2015 8:40 AM in response to KEP27

KEP27 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed reply… The hub looks good…

However, I did a quick search for it and I don't think it is available in the UK….. 😟

I'll keep looking but thanks very much for your help….

Sure it is, OWC ship worldwide, even to tiny little backwaters like London. (My house is in Greenwich, I know what you can get in London)

Deal with OWC, it won't cost much more.

Advice/opinions requested please re. Thunderbolt storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.