Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer can't detect my startup/hard drive no matter what. What do I do?

Macbook Pro (Mid 2012) running OS X Mavericks.

When I started up my computer after I got off the plane for the first time I encountered a grey screen with a flashing question mark on top of a folder. I was severely puzzled. I searched up troubleshooting, reset PRAM and SMC, Nothing. Held option and no drive comes up immidiately but after a while 'Internet Recovery' shows up. Waited for that that to load up but nothing. Disk Utility and OS X Installation can't find the hard drive. I put another hard drive in my computer and the exact same thing happened, flashing question mark on a folder, so I don't think that it's my hard drive. Any suggestions? 😕

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 7:03 AM

Take the HDD and install it in an enclosure and connect it to the MBP via USB. Using startup manager see if it will boot the MBP. If so the SATA cable that connects the HDD internally is probably defective and should be replaced.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204417

Ciao.

2 replies

My computer can't detect my startup/hard drive no matter what. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.