Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Create Library or Event on External Hard Drive

In Final Cut Pro X, I want to import events to libraries that reside on an external hard drive. However, I see no external drive in Final Cut Pro X for the creation of libraries or events, and thus am left with the only option of importing media to my internal hard drive. I don't have the space as I am doing bigger and bigger projects. I have my Libraries tab open, as noted below: Please note no external hard drive appears.

User uploaded file

I have my Lacie external hard drive connected to my MacBook Pro, and the computer is seeing it as it is in the Finder:

User uploaded file

I have tried several ways to create a library or event on this drive and it never shows up in FCP X. HELP! I have researched. I found one fellow with the same problem, and it never was resolved. I have looked on the Internet. I must be doing something wrong as this is so basic that I can't believe it is some sort of bug.

I have Final Cut Pro Version 10.1.2 and my operating system is OS X 10.9.5. I have never used a support community before and am curious as to how valuable they are, and whether I will get some friendly advice.

Thanks,

George L. Paul

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 8:11 AM

Like most other applications, hard drives do not appear inside the application. The did in the very earliest versions, but not recently. If you want to make a new library on an external drive, you use File>New>Library. Name it and save it on the external drive, just as you would any new document in most applications.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2015 8:11 AM in response to GeoPaul57

Like most other applications, hard drives do not appear inside the application. The did in the very earliest versions, but not recently. If you want to make a new library on an external drive, you use File>New>Library. Name it and save it on the external drive, just as you would any new document in most applications.

Apr 26, 2015 9:44 AM in response to GeoPaul57

I just purchased FCP X. I have started a new project but noticed -- My interface at File> seems to differ from others I am being down in tutorial/classes on FCPX. I am told to click on File> New Projects,.... which I did. But I noticed the look of what I have on my screen is different.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

why are they different??? Do I have the same version???

I also have this on my User uploaded filecomputer's software icons, yet FCPX opens. What is going on here?? thanks

Apr 26, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Kaiwoman

The icon in the Dock is probably for an obsolete version that no longer runs on your OS.

The image from YouTube is old. If you're going to use YouTube tutorials be very careful; many of them are very old and obsolete. Avoid any tutorials uploaded prior to late December 2013, and even that is a number of versions ago. Nothing prior to that date should really be used as a video tutorial.

Can't Create Library or Event on External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.